By all measures most South Dakotans would consider this past winter to have been mild. We had only one "blizzard" and it wasn't even too bad. We had a cold snap, but again, it didn't last too long. That being said we were able to go ice fishing as a family. Before your dad and I were married I retired from ice fishing. Cold + wind + ice=no fun! Fast forward about ten or eleven years and I have a daughter who LOVES ice fishing. Not only that, but a son who couldn't wait to start. So, this year I came out of retirement. It was all in all a great choice. We had a blast and ice fishing came naturally back to me! We had a terrific time. Probably my favorite time was when Benny and I headed out on a hike ourselves. He said, "Mama, you hold my hand." It pretty much was the sweetest thing ever. We hiked and just checked everything out. We also managed to just barely capture your first fish on the camera!
The past few years dad has taken part in, and even won a couple of times, the boy scout's ice fishing tournament. This year Baby Waider -you were determined to partake in the tournament. You kept saying that you were going to win an ice house. What you didn't understand is that you didn't need an ice house because we have two from past tournaments, however, you were still excited. You was an instant hit with everyone at the tournament. You loved the donuts, hot chocolate, and hot dogs probably the most. You caught your own fish without any assistance from dad and as you say you are, "only four years old." Dad was able to keep us in pretty good contact so he let us know that you were looking like you were going to be the youth female winner, so Little Brother and I decided to ditch nap and head out to the lake to catch the awards.
The weather was beautiful that day, 55 degrees and sunny. We got in a great hike and had a wonderful time. During lunch and the awards ceremony we were thrilled to discover that you won a hooded sweat shirt. You were excited just to win, but you were thrilled to beat your dad! The phrase you kept saying was, "I'm the winner chicken dinner!" We were pretty proud parents!





No comments:
Post a Comment