Friday, April 28, 2023

The Show Must Go On

Dear Baby Waider + Little Brother Too,

Whenever I set out to write a blog I always regret that I haven't written more recently. This is true today because my last published post was in 2021... So much happens and we're busy people so I just need to be grateful for what I am able to get done. 

This morning I am a few weeks past arguably one of my greatest accomplishments. The greatness of this event was compounded because FINALLY, I got to share my passion with you, Baby Waider. "It's a Madhouse" started out as just a play, but resulted in a fantastic production. While reflecting on how awesome it was I am so grateful that you had such a role in this achievement.

I most likely made my directing debut sometime during the late '80s. Grandma Halter would tell you that I put on numerous weddings, plays, and dances. I started out with many different versions of "The Wizard of Oz." My obsession with that movie was next level. I wanted to BE Dorothy. I directed and starred in many shows. I might be biased, but looking back I would say those shows were terrific.

As time marched on I was obsessed with being in the Missoula Children's Theater Plays, a part of a few community theater plays, and then when I was in high school I was a part of multiple plays. I loved to be IN plays. The acting was fun. I was always cast as the villain, grouch, or tough character because of my voice and attitude. Go figure. While I loved acting in plays I was always captivated by the directors. During Missoula Children's Theater weeklong sessions, I can still remember the feedback and teaching that the directors did. They were so amazing. I was young when I did the plays, but I remember being in absolute awe by how we were able to pull together a show in 5 days. Fantastic shows. 

When I was a senior in high school I was able to take Drama II. I was excited. Going to a Catholic school we did not have the options for electives like other high school students so this was a special treat. My coursework was demanding and this was a welcomed break during a grueling year of AP classes. Mrs. Reed taught the class.  One of the most influential people in my life is probably Mrs. Reed. She was terrifying in all the best ways.  She got shit done and didn't take shit from anyone. Much less a bunch of goofy high school seniors. She told us that part of Drama II was going to be learning how to direct. This prospect was exciting to me. I have always had the gift/curse of believing I can do anything. I'll watch something and think to myself I can do that. I had directed multiple versions of "The Wizard of Oz," so this would not be difficult for me.

It wasn't difficult for me. When I read a script I could visualize every character and their every move. While I hated blocking then, and still hate blocking now it is the slow and monotonous process that brings a show to life. I learned how to take notes and blocking from the script and making just a tad better. She taught me the value of giving confidence but always finding something to work on. She was a veteran director and actor having worked many seasons at the Black Hills Playhouse. I am forever grateful for my time with her. She never told me I was a natural director, but when I got my final grade for the first semester she told me it was not a surprise that I directed an excellent play. She did also tell me (in a firm and direct way) that when you direct a play it is not common to cast yourself as the lead...You live and learn.

Mrs. Reed taught so much that year. She had an eye for theater. Every character on stage was always on point. She taught me the importance of there being no small parts only small actors. Every person on the stage helps tell the story. If one actor is out of character it takes the believability out of the entire scene. She gave me a passion for theater because it is something that humanity has done since the beginning of time. Entertaining audiences with a live performance is special. It is something that is not duplicated. You may have a recording, but it is not the same as it was in that theater. Actors on stage memorized their lines and practiced the show to the point of performing it flawlessly in front of hundreds of people. They're so exposed on stage. Any error made is permanent. There are no redos. It's exhausting, terrifying, and an incredible rush. When audiences leave a good performance they have just received the gift of watching fellow humans give them a part of themselves and their craft. 

When I student taught I remember being at a planning meeting with my cooperating teacher and the fourth-grade team. They uttered a sigh that I only understand now that I am a 20+ year veteran of the profession. They were tasked with the responsibility of putting on a character trait play for the whole school. They really seemed disgusted at having to plan this. While 21 year-old me did not understand their disgust (who doesn't love to put on a show?) I most definitely get their disgust now. One more thing to think about. I gave them an incredible gift. I told them I'd handle the character trait performance. Remember, I think I can do anything? There were some raised eyebrows and undeniably some skeptical scoffing, but I was used to that. I went home and wrote my own version of nothing else, but "The Wizard of Oz." I decided to conduct auditions and rehearse daily after school for a month or two." I quickly learned that one Dorothy was too much for fourth-graders I divided the role and had twins who ended up in Oz teaching kids about one of the character traits. I'm pretty sure that I am the only writer/director to have Dorothy played by both a Dorothy and a Don. The play was a screaming success. 

I continued to do a yearly play with every class that I taught. As I said it was my passion. When I moved to a much larger school 8 years later they were evaluating the budget and decided to get rid of Missoula Children's Theater plays because of the cost. I, again, volunteered to put on a show. Do a play with K-6 grades? No problem. Remember my, "I can do that" attitude? Sometimes it bites me in the butt. Again, I did a rendition of "The Wizard of Oz." There is just something about the ruby slippers I cannot shake. It was a smashing success. Those poor kids performed for a dinner theater 4 times. Once during a raging blizzard. Dad made videos and sold them, we had t-shirts. It was FANTASTIC. Everyone did a terrific job and I am still so proud of that show. I now teach with one of my student directors from that show and the main characters are all grown up and out of college. 

Then, I got pregnant...I knew I did not have the energy or bandwidth to put on a show. My whole heart and soul go into a show. I couldn't do that exhausted and barely surviving. (I was a VERY dramatic pregnant lady.) I decided to retire from directing plays in 2011. My retirement was not announced and to my knowledge, no one really even noticed I stopped doing plays. I had pretty much continuously done plays for 12 years. I was so focused on surviving motherhood so I didn't miss it at all. My parents and your dad had never missed a show, but they too had a new focus now. Children give you permission to immerse yourself in something that is not yourself. I would not have taken on something that pulled me away from the baby/toddler versions of you for any amount of money or excitement. 

As they say, in the blink of an eye you both grew up. Baby Waider was in 4th grade and Little Brother was in 2nd grade. Mrs. Johnson, our assistant principal last year, approached me and said that she wasn't going to be the director of the Stagebarn Middle School play anymore because she was too busy. How she got my name, I can't remember. I wanted to immediately say no. I have two kids, two jobs, and am way too busy to add something else. Something made me pause. That something? Getting to show the two of you my REAL passion. What if I can direct you two in a play? I talked it over with Dad and we decided to take the plunge. I say we because Dad is really immersed in the play as much as anyone. He helps me sort and organize the audition rubrics. He's a sounding board for struggles and difficulties. He picks up all the slack at home. He cooks dinner and drives you two to all the places. He comes to all of my performances and videos. So when I said I wanted to bust out of retirement he was supportive. 

Last year was pretty magical. Despite getting covid. Not having directed a play for 11 years it was clunky at first. Rehearsals were tough. Middle schoolers didn't like me as much as elementary kids, and what was worse they didn't like anything really. :( It was a steep learning curve. I am forever grateful to my high school directors. Tabatha and Ashlyn helped so much and completely ran production which is something I had no clue about. The show was a success. The first performance wasn't just good, it was excellent. That exhilarating feeling was back. As I left the stage the last night of the show I remember saying, only 10 more months until we get to do this again. Only this time I was DEMANDING that I get an assistant. I did get my assistant and your aunt, Katie accepted the challenge. Her theater knowledge was limited, but she did help me with multiple plays. I'm not sure how I did the play last year without her. 

Turns out 10 months fly by. While I had covid and was directing the play last year I also got to do interviews for a 2nd-grade position at our school. Miss OB, as you both call her, mentioned something about coaching and I revealed that I was the drama coach at SMS. Somehow once she was hired she conveyed to me that she wanted to help me with the play. I was reluctant... I am a CONTROL freak and most of the time I can't find someone to match my level of intensity or crazy or see the importance of my overall vision. Miss OB matched that and so much more. Turns out we're even crazier together!

So we had Auntie taking on the lead with production and Selfridge helping her out. Two highly organized planners against two people flying by the seat of their pants. We were ready to take on the world. This play was a humungous undertaking. The cast was 40 actors at a minimum and we extended it to 55 students. We had a production team of around 25. Auditions were grueling. There were so many strong actors and actresses that it was really hard to cast the roles. I am forever grateful that it was four minds working together because we could not have done a better job casting this show. Auntie also held me accountable for making sure that production had a voice and was involved in all aspects of the show. 

The two of you were in your second year of play-watching. Basically, for two hours at the end of your school day, you went to practice at the middle school. I THINK you will look back at this time fondly. Playing with your cousins, binging on Nintendo, playing hide and go seek, and messing around with other teachers' kids. Baby Waider was not involved with the play at all last year. This year you were fully roped into being a major role in producing the play. You read parts for LOTS of sick actors. Sometimes you filled in for as many as 4 characters in one day. You also followed the script to give lines. You recorded new blocking for me and helped people memorize your lines. Sadly, Auntie capitalized on your love for art and snatched you up to work in production. Once you left us for painting you never returned. 

My whole point for coaching drama was so my own children would be a part of the play. I am so grateful that Auntie took you in as a helper in production. You worked hard and had a great time. The older kids took you under their wing and taught you so much. While I didn't get to direct Baby Waider in the play I did get to direct Finn! It was the best. He took on a really fun role and it was so fun to develop his craft. 

The second year was even better than the first. I think it helped that we had FOUR adults plus a few extras the day of the show working together. Grandma Halter came the day of the show where we put the set together and helped get costumes fitted and steamed. Our friend Shelby helped Miss Selfridge with sound and getting what we needed at the Community Center. It was a team effort and it was amazing.  Baby Waider you were in your element helping Auntie decorate the stage and getting everything all set up. Miss OB and I were in our element chewing people out and Miss Selfridge had a blast playing music and doing the sounds. I cannot ever thank everyone for all they did that day for me and the cast. We put on one hell of a show. The actors did a terrific job and it was such an amazing experience. As we cleaned up one of the production students was working with me and he said, "Mrs. Waider I am so sad that this is over." I agreed and reminded him, "We get to do this again in just 10 months. That's no time at all."  

I usually try to talk about what I learned from these experiences I blog about. This is why I've had a hard time finishing. I learned so much. I learned that it is okay to allow people to help. I always think I HAVE to do things on my own. This experience reminded me that sometimes it takes a team to make something big happen. I am so glad that I got an assistant director who was amazing, thank you, Katie, and had two wonderful friends, OB and Selfridge give so much of their time to help out. OB has me beat in character development. It was truly a memorable experience and something I am still so incredibly proud of. Next year I promise I won't be as much of a control freak! I know I was a pain in the ass at times and I am so glad that my friends stayed by my side. Also, surround yourself with good people. Part of being successful is surrounding yourself with people who share your vision and care about you. Without this group of people helping me this production would not have happened. Lastly, I learned that sometimes you just have to laugh. No matter how hard it got we could always laugh. 

Here are some pictures from both performances and a couple from rehearsals. 

Both daughters worked REALLY hard to fill in as directors when I had to go talk to production. 

The pain of blocking. 

Auntie, Trestin, and Selfridge working together. 

Our amazing stage! So much hard work done by production, Auntie, and Baby Waider! The set was breathtaking. 

Final performance before the dress rehearsal! Selfridge got us a mic and it was amazing. Love this pic for so many reasons! This is the last time I saw the performance from the front. What a great group!

Baby Waider getting to put makeup on Finn.

BESTIES!

I LOVE this girl. Miranda you made me so proud.

Whole Cast. Wow! We had so many kids. 

Flowers from Dad and Little Brother. 
Tired, but grateful. 



Baby Waider bowing with production and acknowledging lights and sound.

Auntie had the best idea to bring Kitt and Little Brother up on stage because they worked hard too. 
So thankful that these two showed up in my life! 



Well, looking through the pictures made me UGLY cry. I am so grateful for this experience and for sharing it will you, Baby Waider. It was hard work, but it was so worth it. I am going to end this with a quote to help us remember next year.

"Some people want it to happen. Some wish it would happen. Others make it happen." 

                                - Michael Jordan


Now it's only 8 more months until audition day! :) 


Love, 

Mom


 




 

No comments:

Post a Comment