Tuesday, December 13, 2011
Poop Fountain During a Busy Weekend
Dear Baby Waider,
Whew! We are coming off of a really crazy busy weekend. It was very special and cool. For starters you became a part of many family traditions. The first tradition you became a part of is getting the Christmas tree in the Black Hills National Forest. Each year since I was a little girl my family has gone into the forest and cut our very own Christmas tree. Then we have post tree cutting merriment and refreshments. Every year since your dad and I have been together he has been a part of the tradition too! You posed some interesting situations for your parents to problem solve. This was the first time we have ever left town with you. We only went an hour away and you were wonderful in the car, which is a change because at times you are sort of a maniac in your car seat. Anyway once we got there we had issues getting you into your moby. It was so warm and nice out that we were thankfully able to take you out of your snowsuit so that you could fit better in the carrier. After taking you out of your snowsuit we soon discovered that you had filled your pants so we had to change those...in the back of the car. Once that was done you decided that you needed a little something to eat before we ventured out. We finally got going. I was grouchy, your dad was grouchy and you were hysterical. Once I started walking and we had found our tree you quit crying and slept the rest of the time. You missed everything else, but I'm certain this will be the final year you will miss anything. This year Finn and Vern were all over the place and I'm certain that you and Harry will do the same next year.
The coolest part of having you along is that this is the first of many trips to get the Christmas tree with us. It is always so wonderful to have a new addition. I remember when little Thomas Tolman first went with us and now he's 20 years old. I remember when Lauryn and Brook Weber first went and now they are in 7th grade and college. You will be just the same. Every year we will go get our tree and it will kick off the Waider Family Christmas! I know that each year you will love it!
Here are you with (not really visible) with your pretty grouchy mom and dad and very happy dog in front of what could be the WORST Christmas tree we've ever picked out.
Here I am (with you) and Grandma Halter, Auntie Katie, and bundled up Cousin Finn. We take this picture every year. Well, not with you and Finn I guess. You would never guess by looking at Randy, a.k.a Finn that it was almost 50 degrees out.
The Waiders
You with your mom. See? You were OUT.
The other big weekend experience was your Baptism. You and your cousin Harry were baptized together this weekend! You looked radiant. You got to wear your Auntie Katie's dress from when she was just two weeks old. You were baptized at two months old so that really posed some wardrobe challenges. For one the dress was a tad short. We also couldn't button the top button, but you wore a cardi so it was all good! Your mom decided to host the post baptism party so in the morning mom and dad were frantic to clean the house and get ourselves cleaned up. The LAST thing we decided to do right before we left the house was put you in your dress. You were so adorable! I looked upon you a little teary eyed knowing that my sister once wore that little white dress and now she's a mom herself. I also thought of when you will wear other white dresses. I managed to hold it together for the most part because we were in a huge hurry. Did I mention we were running late?
Again, you decided that you HAD to eat. So I fed you quickly so that we weren't late to the church. (BTW, we were late.) So, as I'm feeding you I feel a rumble under that adorable little dress. A rumble that could mean only one thing...YOU HAD FILLED YOUR PANTS. So I ran back to the bedroom to change your pants. As I began to change your pants and pull the diaper down you began to poop more... More really isn't the right word. You were a poop fountain. Poop was pouring out of you. Keep in mind that you are wearing a beautiful white dress that technically doesn't belong to us. Keep in mind also that we are running late. Luckily I got your pants changed without incident. We got to the church. (Okay, just a little late.) Thankfully mass at our church rarely starts on time. In fact were got there a little after 11:00 (for 11:00 mass) and no one was there.
The ceremony was wonderful. It was the heritage mass so there were Lakota drummers and the direction song. Father Dave baptized you. Your godparents were Auntie Katie and Uncle Robbie. You were a little fussy before the ceremony, but by the time we got to the baptism you were asleep. We rubbed oil on you and you stayed asleep. Then, Father Dave poured the water over your head. You were fine through, "I baptize you in the name of the father, the son..." Then it was, "and the Holy Spirit," and you let out a cry that awakened the entire church. Unfortunately you were not the only one who cried during the ceremony...I DID. I did perfectly through everything and didn't shed a tear. Then it was the sign of peace. Your Grandpa Halter gave me a hug, and made the sign of cross on your head. It was so touching that I just burst into tears right there. UGH! I was doing so well! :) At least it wasn't in front of everyone in the church.
Your cousin Harry was baptized with you. He didn't cry when the water was dumped on his head, but he's a little older than you. He seemed to even enjoy having water dumped on his head. You both did well and seemed to be a hit during mass. I'm sure that some people grumbled because we extended mass by about 20 minutes, but that's okay. During communion your dad turned toward the communion line. I thought it was a little odd, but he swore that everyone wanted to see you because you were so beautiful. He has got to be just about the proudest dad I've ever seen. He might be the dad who is telling the teacher how "special and bored you are with school." I'm going to have to watch him.
Now for my wisdom to impart upon you. Many people have questioned me for getting you baptized when it wasn't ultimately your choice. Many parents believe that it is important to let baptism be their child's choice. I agree...to a point. See, I'm Catholic, a cradle Catholic, which means when I was born I was born Catholic. Both sets of my grandparents were Catholic, as were my parents. I do not agree with everything that the church says or does, but I do believe that Catholicism is an excellent starting point. Plus, who says you can't challenge and question your religion? That being said I see you as a cradle Catholic, which means that you will be able to question your faith as you grow with it. What I wanted to do is give you a starting point. The Catholic faith is full of beautiful traditions and I really haven't known anything else in my life. Plus you have Super Uncle Father Bob (now the man with THREE titles) who answers most of the tough religion questions. I hereby give you permission to interact with your religion. You don't have to agree with all of it. What you don't agree with question! You can ask me and I promise to listen with a fair ear, but I know your godmother well, and trust me you will be in church. She doesn't ever miss and I know that she will have similar expectations for you. Welcome to our traditions. Let the guilt begin!
Father Dave blessing you.
Me gazing at you and wondering how in the world I played a role in creating someone so beautiful.
Your dad, me, cousin Harry, auntie April, and Uncle Kelly.
Baby Ellie and Baby Harry
Awwww...You and Father Dave
Your CrAzY cousins, Vern and Finn.
You and Grandpa Halter
Your mom and Grandpa Halter putting your new beautiful bracelet on.
Your mom and dad gazing at you. We do that a lot.
Your cute little hand with your adorable little pearl bracelet from Grandpa and Grandma Halter.
Your dad showing you off to the whole church.
You and Grandma Halter. You were not happy about something!
You and auntie Katie. She's your godmother and that was her dress that you are wearing.
Me and you! Wish you weren't blurry, but you are always on the move.
Me trying to put your bracelet on you.
I tried to put these pictures in order, but I gave up because it was taking forever and you are wanting to eat NOW!!! As always, mama loves you, Ellie!
Love,
Your Mama
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)














No comments:
Post a Comment