Wednesday, June 27, 2012

Thirty outfits, 16 onesies, a Pack n' Play, Two Strollers, and a Big Black Dog

Dear Baby Waider,

I have been meaning to write this blog for awhile. Truth is I've been a little busy getting YOU ready for the world's largest road trip. I've been dreading this road trip for months. Not because of where we are going, but rather HOW LONG it takes to get there. We are taking you to Poplar Bluff, MO for your super cousin Jennifer's wedding to your future super cousin Matt. Jennifer is one of my favorite cousins so it is important for me to be there for her special day. Plus l, I want you to meet all of my other favorite cousins, and aunts and uncles. These are the people who would come and visit me when I was a kid and we would have so much fun that I would cry when they would leave! You will also get to meet cousin Kammie who grew up very close to your mom. Our memories are countless and I have no doubt she's about to have a ball with you!

So let's rewind a little. I had decided against making this trip. I couldn't fathom taking a teething eight month old 17 hours in the car. Additionally, mom had been pretty rude to people on airplanes with babies so flying with you was out of the question. So I had my mind made up that Jennifer would be walking down the aisle without the Waiders there to see it.

That was until...your dad decided otherwise. He stepped in and said that this journey was happening. His rationale being that this is something that you wish you were there the day of and by then it is too late. I had to agree. The thought of missing a congregation of Halters makes me feel like I'm missing out.

That being said, you have hardly ever left Rapid City much less the state. As a matter of fact you had never been further than Hot Springs which is an hour away. Needless to say I was a wreck about this trip. So I did what I do. I obsessed, researched, panicked, and made lists. Your dad did what he does. Got our fifth wheel ready, got the truck ready, and tried to keep me relatively calm. Oh that and scored you some pretty sweet toys at rummage sales. So we packed up most of your stuff into the fifth wheel and headed east.

A few things to mention. First we foolishly decided to travel on the hottest day of the year. The truck thermometer said 113 as we left the house. Sometimes it said 118. It was miserable and by Western South Dakota standards, humid! Additionally the ac in the truck did not work all the way to Mitchell. It was miserable. Mia was hot. You had little tiny beads of sweat on the bridge of your little nose. It was treacherous. Your dad and I were covered in sweat. Despite the adverse conditions and me wanting to turn around for most of the day your dad and I managed to hold it together. The amazing snacks at the Presho did wonders and your dad scored some sweet Craig's list finds in Sioux Falls and the ac started working better as it cooled down so we decided to carry on.

Just like a little trooper you slept all the way to Omaha. When we got to Omaha your dad was exhausted. He was talking crazy about going to Kansas City. He said he was awake his eyes just needed to rest. Part of the problem was we couldn't find a place to park the camper for the night. Because it was a million degrees we needed to be plugged in or run out generator for the night. Because of the Olympic swim trials and the college world series camping spots were not easy to find. We found a casino with hook ups but the directions seemed really hard to follow. The lady lost me after she said go to I-80e then a left and a service road... Anyway we found another casino and gave them a call to see if they had camping spots. The lady said no hook ups but we could stay in the parking lot. That was good enough.

So your first camping experience was off of i29 in a casino parking lot with a generator running the ac because it was still almost 90 at 100am.

Your dad crashed and I stayed up with you and snuggled for a little while so you could get used to the camper. You were not so sure of the new surroundings. It was so nice because for the first time in many months you fell asleep on my chest. Oh have I missed that! Then we crashed. We got up at 500 and hit the road a running. You have been sleeping all morning in the car. You fussed some yesterday but since then you have been an amazing traveler.

Your dad and I have been racking our brains trying to figure out how you have made it this long in the car without crying. We cracked the code. This is the first time Mia has been in the back with you. Mia is better than mom and better than dad. You and Mia are travel companions. We are about 100 miles out of St. Louis and I'm sure that we will have more stories to tell. Your dad and I are champion road trippers and are thrilled that you are a little tripper so far!!

Mama loves you!

1 comment:

  1. Love that Mia is the magic solution to a happy road trip! Also wish I could have been a fly in the truck when you were trying to find a place to park last night :) Have fun and enjoy rest of your trip!

    ReplyDelete