Dear Baby Waider,
I'm not going to lie. I'm pretty sure that somewhere in my past I've said that I would NOT be the parent to plan a lavish, over the top first birthday party. Especially not for a baby who likely would hardly remember the bash. Well, needless to say it turns out that I'm not keeping my word on that if ever I did utter those words. I've become a "Momzilla" of sorts. "Momzilla" is a term that I created after the word "Bridezilla." A "Bridezilla" is a bride who is planning a wedding and rather crazed about it. A Bridezilla is overly focused upon their wedding and their special day. I am a "Momzilla." A Momzilla is a mom who is overly focused on their child's first birthday. I am Momzilla. I am super excited for your first birthday. And, to my standards I am planning a rather "over the top" birthday extravaganza. Rather, an "Over the Rainbow" birthday extravaganza. I had seen birthday parties all over Pinterest. Initially my thought was, wow! people sure get fired up about their kids' birthday. Then, my thought sort of drifted to, wow! That sure would be cute. And, finally, OMG! I'm doing it! I'm planning a super, duper birthday party. Now, calm down. It's not going to be that exciting. I have just done more than I expected.
1. I ordered custom made invitations from Etsy.
2. I baked a six layer cake. Okay. I helped auntie April make cake. She did all of the hard work. I panicked much of the time and made some awesome frosting. Cousin Harry was also a helper!
Auntie April with the cake before I had to dash out and help dad find the title to the truck he'd just sold. Not only had he lost the title, but he gave the WRONG title to the guy who bought the truck. Anyway I made it home to find the title. April and Uncle Kelly had to clean up the mess. Thanks, guys!
3. I'm planning on having people over to my house. Lots of people and I'm serving them dinner!
4. I have invited many small children to come into my home, possibly allow them to engage in wild behavior and do crafts! UGH! Am I crazy????
However, I am super excited for your party. I'm having the Wizard of Oz Birthday Party that I never had. (C'mon mom!!!) But, in grandma's defense super over the top birthday parties weren't really the deal when I was a kid. The roller rink was and I did have a kick butt roller skating party. I think I'm more excited for this party than I have ever been for any party. Your dad feels the same way. He rarely contributes his thoughts to the blog, after all I am bestowing my wisdom upon you, but this is his direct quote. "Birthdays are really some of the best times in your life. And now we get to recreate that for someone we love. Nicely said, dad.
The CUTEST DOROTHY EVER. And trust me, I've seen more than one Dorothy in my day.
The way I see it it is a celebration for you because it is your birthday. But, it is also a celebration for us. We made it through the first year of having a baby. We got to witness things that many humans accomplish in their first year. The first little cry followed by angelic sleep. That miraculous first smile. The first giggle. The first time you rolled over (actually that happened at Grandma's!)You sitting up on your own, crawling, and finally, most recently walking. We got to hear your first and favorite word, "DA DA" often times yelled at the top of your lungs. For awhile you called both of us DA DA, but that word is now endearingly reserved for your DADA. These little miracles have been priceless to see. Daily we are amazed by all you can do and how many new things you can do. You have such a little personality. So many ways like me. Funny, determined, smart ;), and impatient. Like dad in how you are thoughtful,quick to laugh, love to figure things out, and love the animals.
We had the opportunity to witness so many wonderful milestones right along with you. Often in amazement we would say, "I think she's really ahead on this one!" However, it wasn't all sunshine and rainbows. Let me tell you! We also made it through the first tooth, ear infection, sleepless night after sleepless night, and some majorly dirty, blown out diapers. The sleepless nights still haunt and terrify me. Phew, that was rough. I sort of wish I could have enjoyed those moments a little more, but I know that I've wasted very few moments with you as a little baby. Through it all I got wonderful advice from Grandma Halter who knows you almost as well as dad and I do. But, I really owe a HUGE THANK YOU to your auntie Katie, and Lynndee who mom works with. They spent a million hours troubleshooting so many questions and issues that I had with you. They were amazing and this first year would have been totally overwhelming without their guidance and friendship!
That being said; I am going to have a ton of people come out to celebrate you with all of us! And I'm going to be a total Momzilla. Our house isn't ready, the bathroom still isn't done, but we are ready to have fun and in the end that's all that matters. :) Your dad and I have been criticized for never leaving you with a babysitter during evenings and weekends. It is true that we haven't done so often, but I will never regret that. This year flew by and I feel like as it is I missed too much. I am grateful for every second I spent with you. After all your dad and I had tons of adventures in the eight years we were together before you were here! Of all our adventures, you are by far the best adventure we could imagine. I cannot believe how fast the year went by. It seems like just yesterday my belly was making it so I couldn't reach anything on my table at school, praying that my water didn't break during parent teacher conferences. Now here you are walking and laughing, and making every single day fantastic.
Still one of my favorites, thanks, Adam. Is it just me or does mom look younger because I hadn't yet had 100 sleepless nights?
I recently read a quote that is so true. It states, "While we try to teach our children all about life. Our children teach us what life is all about." I couldn't say it any better. Elton John also said it well, "How wonderful life is now that your in the world." This has digressed into a rather sappy blog, but I'm feeling pretty darn sappy. After all in 365 days I watched a human gain 18 pounds, grow nearly 8 teeth, go from a precious little helpless angel to a walking babbling playing maniac. No matter how you slice that it is a pretty big deal. So forgive me if I spend a little time getting ready for your totally sweet party crying and wishing time could rewind and I could have just one more evening in a rocking chair with you asleep on my chest. As always, I love you bigger than life little Ellie Belly.
Love,
Your MOM
This is something I will cherish forever and I am so grateful that your dad was able to capture it.


No comments:
Post a Comment