Sunday, December 9, 2012

Jolly Old St. Nicholas



Dear Baby Waider,

I always wanted to have a St. Nick's Party. I read about a St. Nick's Party that my friend Liz Clanton's mom had in the Newspaper a few years back and ever since I've wanted to have one myself. Initially, I thought it would be cool to get the nephews together even prior to YOUR arrival. Then last year I wanted to have one, but really thought that at two months old you would likely cry, nurse, or sleep through the party. So, this year seemed like a good year for the inaugural year of the St. Nick's Party.

The objective of the St. Nick's party is to take time at the beginning of December to get together, take time to enjoy some Christmas traditions, and of course celebrate St. Nicholas. I hoped for some good St. Nick's education for you. I wanted you and the nephews to learn about who St. Nick was...we didn't really get to that yesterday, but we did really have a good time. We put shoes out and St. Nick did make it to the party! December 6th is actually St. Nick's feast day, but we wanted to celebrate him on December 8th because it was a Saturday.


This is the St. Nick's crew for year one! Grandpa and Grandma Halter came, Auntie April, Auntie Katie, the nephews, and thankfully Super Cousin Lauryn. Super Cousin Lauryn gave up her Saturday morning to hang out with our crazy crew, and I think she may have had some fun. Unfortunately she covered you up in this photo due to me not noticing! :( Good think we have plenty of photos of you!

Please notice the background...I call it the IKEA wall. See mom had this vision of organization. I saw it on Pinteret. It was called a DIY mudroom. The picture on Pinterest promised that this DIY Ikea wall would organize my house. Unfortunately, the IKEA was became the dump wall where we just dump anything and everything that does not have a reasonable space in our house. It is disorganized, sloppy, and annoying. The reason that I brought it up is that supposedly it wasn't going to interfere with the party, but clearly the IKEA wall is evident in this photo. Oh well, it really didn't impact our fun of the party. So it probably wasn't worth me freaking out about it in the first place. :)

One of our activities at the party was decorating sugar cookies! Grandma Halter made the cookies, and I think Auntie Katie helped roll and cut them out with Grandpa Halter. They were delicious! You and Harry liked the cookies without the frosting. However, the frosting was AMAZING!! Auntie April made peppermint frosting and it was delish! Loved it.



Harry and grandma decorating cookies.


Grandpa, Finn, and Vern. Not sure about Grandpa's crazy eyes.


This is a PRECIOUS picture of Finn! Love it. Little Sprinkles on the chin.


The Aunties and the cousins!!


You enjoying a cookie and your dad cheesing out in a picture with you.

We also decided to make gingerbread houses...a feat that is easier said than done for sure.




LOTS of action in this shot.


You and Finn decorating. You eating as many chocking hazards as you could shove in your mouth without me noticing.


Another fantastic action shot that actually looks like we planned it. No, we were just working that hard. Lie. I wasn't working at all. But I do look like it.


Awww...notice my hand restraining your arm? Still a cute shot. It was actually after THIS event that you had your. St. Nick's meltdown. You all four had one. Unfortunately for Harry his is the only meltdown captured in a picture and his was by far the mildest.


This was actually the construction crew. Dad tried to put ours from bountiful baskets together and it was an epic fail! Mostly because we didn't use the proper frosting, but anyway it didn't work well.




During the party Grandpa Halter read one of his favorite stories The Night Before Christmas. What a special treat! We also got to watch a video of it after mom and dad got it together and got it to play!



After the story St. Nick came!!! YAY!!!




We packed lots of fun into the short three hour morning party and it was a blast. We wrapped it up with a fabulous lunch of fruit and pizza. Not fruit pizza. Fruit and pizza. Not too elaborate. Oh and we had juice! Which was a HUGE treat for you!

Here are some pictures of the other stuff we did.



Just as a side note your dad was NOT thrilled with you chewing the pretty pink Christmas ornament. Something about ingesting Chinese lead based glue and glitter? I say that nothing says Christmas like Chinese lead based glue and glitter.

You probably didn't learn about St. Nick at the party. You probably didn't do much, but you did have the chance to celebrate the health of your cousins who were all very sick last week. Not to mention your dad, and auntie, and grandma!! We also got to start a FUN family tradition and in my mind that is priceless.

Love you always,

Mama

No comments:

Post a Comment