Saturday, May 3, 2014

Mama's Work


Dear Baby Waider + Little Brother Too, 

I occasionally blog about my job, but not too much. Truth is before the two of you came into my life my job WAS my life. I loved every single minute of it. I did plays, elaborate art projects, worked for after school events, partook in every. single. fundraiser. It was what I did. Once I met your dad he also took part in my job. ;) He would draw bulletin boards, make dvds of the plays, etc. We were immersed in the Meade School District. I adored my students and their families. I was extremely blessed to start teaching in a community who welcomed me with open arms into their lives and families. Getting hired in Whitewood was one of my life's greatest blessings. While working there I had small class sizes, amazing coworkers, and kids who felt like family. It was a great place to start out my career. My current position is also wonderful, but not the carefree place Whitewood was. Anyway, as a result of how much I loved teaching in Whitewood I continue to keep in touch with many former students from there. So last Saturday night I was fortunate enough to get to catch up with a couple. I ate dinner with a former student who informed me that when she graduates she's joining the navy. Following that dinner Grandma Halter, Baby Waider, and I went to prom grand march. I was ecstatic to see all my former students all grown up at prom. 

Sometimes it just hits you that time passes. So. Quickly. It's so cliche and overstated, but most likely because it is true. Last Saturday night it sort of smacked me in the face at an unexpected place. Someplace I wouldn't have seen myself 10 or 11 years ago probably. I was coming down the stairs in the Sturgis gym at grand march lugging a tired two and a half year old who was pointing at all the dresses and naming their colors. Not going to lie, the color naming of the dresses was pretty impressive. Looking back at me was probably 8 students who I had taught when they were ages 8-10. They were all gussied up for prom or watching someone who was at prom. I had taught them. When I was much younger. And they were much younger. Their moms and dads were there, looking a little older than I remember them and probably thinking the exact same thing about me. As I yelled at the "kids" to wait to pose for a picture with me it smacked me in the face. They had grown up before my very eyes. They are grown. And it happened so quickly. 

Saturday night was chaotic. Hugging people, quickly catching up, snapping pictures. Discussing our shock at how quickly time has past. Recognizing that students I taught are having children of their own and are well into adulthood. The quick hugs and greetings from parents were only a split second in my life. But it left a lasting impact on me. That's what life is. We meet people and even though they are in our life for only a moment they become a piece in the puzzle of our life.  As I watched one former student walk out very pregnant and ready to have her baby at any moment I shouted, "good luck!" I knew that before we knew it our kids would be at prom. Possibly together. 

As a side note. I was honored to be invited to that former student'a baby shower a few  weeks ago. I taught all three of these kids!! I love participating in any and all major life events. 





Teaching has a bad rap. I've been at it long enough to know that. The pay is not fantastic for the work we do. We see all sides of humanity, the good, bad, ugly. We watch tough things happen to little kids. But, overall I wouldn't change it for a thing. I've had the privilege to be a part of countless lives. That's awesome. For a whole year I get to have someone's treasure in my class.  I watch them grow. I hopefully teach them something and in some way be someone memorable to them. Selfishly I take each one of them and they become part of the fabric of my life. In many ways they become like family to me. In turn I become a piece of the puzzle that is their lives. 

So many coworkers and friends who are teachers shutter at the thought of their child becoming a teacher. We are not always well respected in the work that we do. I have a second job because the pay is just not that good. But bottom line is that we do good work. I am excited to go to work most everyday. If for no other reason than to just hear what sort of funny things that my second graders say. I get the chance to laugh, sing off key, dance, and hear about the lives of my students. As I left that hot, crowded gym, and a bunch of my former students all gussied up inside it dawned on me that I hope you both find a job that brings you as much joy as mine has for the past fourteen years. I've never had a day at work where I have failed to smile or laugh at least once. It probably helps that I work with auntie Katie and uncle Kelly. 

Do I wish I made more money? You bet. But for now I'll hope things get better for teachers in general and in the meantime I'll hope that both of you find work that makes you happy. 



Love Always, 

Mama

No comments:

Post a Comment