Sunday, September 14, 2014

And Then You Were One!

Dear Little Brother, 

It recently hit me that Baby Waider has two year's worth of blogs written only to her and you have none. So, this is my first. Sometimes I write to tell YOU your story, sometimes I write to tell you how I feel, and sometimes I write to warn others. This post is a combination of all three. 

First, I distinctly remember sitting in my hospital bed after you were born. We were waiting for dad to pick us up and take us home. I remember looking at you and thinking to myself, I hope the time doesn't go so fast like it did with Baby Waider. Fact. It went faster. Wayyyy faster. I have said so many times that I don't remember you being a baby. Fortunately I took a million pictures so I have a pretty good idea of what we were doing.One minute you were a tiny cuddly baby, before I knew it you rolled over, then sat up, and shortly after crawled. Now you are on the verge of walking and one whole year old. Bittersweet for sure. Dad and I are so blessed to have a healthy boy, but you are growing up so quickly. I have always struggled with things ending. When your baby turns one it is the end of them being a baby. They are already walking or darn close to walking. Cuddling days are over. Naps on chests are a thing of the past. 

Your first birthday party has been planned for awhile. Since June. I decided that I would throw you a camping party! It seemed like an awesome idea. We were camping at the State Game Campground in June when it struck me that a camping party would be perfect. The entire family also made reservations at the campground. You had all of your aunts and uncles and grandparents present! It seemed perfect. BUT this week was crazy. I didn't really plan that we would be in the throws of school starting in the midst of putting this party together. What I realized is that I planned this HUGE party and kept super busy. It was perfect because you turned one and I did okay. I didn't cry. You turned one and I was happy. We had seen you grow so much in the past year. We felt blessed that you were on track and doing so well. And we were getting ready for a huge camping birthday party. Anyway long story short once the party started rolling and things were fairly handled it hit me. This little human who I gave birth to only a year ago is now laughing, smiling, walking, eating, and laughing. He's not my tiny little baby. I snapped pictures and did okay. Then we gave you your cake and took some pictures. Then we sang happy birthday and I. Lost. It. I ugly cried. 

I guess you can never really be prepared for your baby to grow up. I didn't cry all day long. Just a little while. I still have an ache in my heart that misses my tiny babies.I always will. BUT there is this lady who is the hostess at the State Game Lodge restaurant who gave me a free coffee one morning because I looked like I hadn't slept all night (I hadn't) and my husband will still sleeping. Anyway we saw her again Friday night. Thankfully she didn't recognize me. She asked me politely how old you were. I said, "one." She responded, "Now the REAL fun begins." I'm holding onto that. She's totally right. So many wonderful things are yet to come. Each day your personality emerges more and more. You are funny, charming, and like to stand up for yourself. Which is good because you have a sister who as you know is her own bag of tricks, three older cousins, and two younger cousins so you will need every ounce of toughness. I know it will be so much fun to watch you grow even more. I am honored to be your mama. 

Here is your birthday in a nutshell. Super fun. We have the best family. Ever. You are surrounded by love. Camping with cousins is probably the best and I'm totally jealous that I never got to camp with my cousins. Actually, last night I got to camp with my cousin, Trent! It was such a fun time with so much to be grateful for. Pictures probably tell the story as well as anything. I had been anticipating this weekend for awhile, sometimes nervous, sometimes excited, and sometimes a little dread, but this weekend was BETTER than I ever expected it to be. Excellent time. I wish that blogger would put them in the order that they happened, but since they don't and I can't find an easy way to move them they are out of order, but you get the idea!

All of the kids, even you, enjoyed backpack coloring!
The kids loved the bug hunt. You watched from a distance because you don't walk too well yet and you LOVE to watch the big kids. 


Cake! I made you a little mini cake. It was adorable. You did not like it at all. Dad tried to show you how to eat it. You didn't try it. Baby Waider tried to show you how to eat it, not a chance. Finally, Grandpa Marker gave you a s'mores cupcake and you LOVED it. No mess though. Glad I didn't spring for the cake smash outfit. 


We bring your pool camping. Not to swim in, but to play in with your toys. You love it and it was a great place to open presents. I always get so annoyed because I don't have any pictures with you kids. Then I see this gem on my memory card that dad must have snapped during present opening. Probably my favorite picture of the day. 

Dad never has a shortage of entertainment at parties. For this party we got a roller coaster and you all had a BLAST!




Here is the invitation to your birthday. Pretty cute if you ask me! 

My adorable little boy.

We love you big guy!
Love, 

Mama



No comments:

Post a Comment