Today we carried out our yearly tradition of getting the Waider family Christmas tree. I think if someone THINKS they want to be married they should get a Christmas tree (rather get ready to get a Christmas tree) with two kids, three and under, with a geriatric dog, in the middle of nowhere, two weeks before Christmas, and two weeks after dealing with CrAzY at work. To put it bluntly for some unknown reason, maybe it's the stress of Christmas and having an infinite amount of stuff to get ready for the holidays, your parents completely don't get along at all on tree getting day. I can blame it on having two wee ones to get ready, but to be honest it has pretty much always been like this. Holiday decorating is our holiday drama. This was year 11 for your dad and I and possibly around year 30 or so for me?? Help me out here Grandma Halter. When did this tradition start? Anyway traditionally your dad and I always start this day out with drama. Not really sure why. We always leave later than we want to. By the time we get there we are usually annoyed, tired, hot from the car ride, I don't know. Anyway.This year we arrived pretty content. The weather was balmy. Probably in the 60's with an occasional gust of warm wind. I've always wanted to veer off to the left rather than the right to search for our tree. We usually can't because there is too much snow, but this year the path was clear. We joyfully went DOWN the long hill into a beautiful meadow. Almost immediately we found what was to be the Waider family Christmas tree 2014. Typically dad and I will banter back and forth about if it is a good fit etc. this year it was instant agreement. Perfect tree. It was tall but within regulation. Problem 1. We needed a picture and we somehow lost our tripod. No one else was near us so we couldn't have anyone else take the picture. To be honest by the time we found our tree we were a good distance from the rest of our party. So I hung the camera from a tree branch and wedged it in between the trunk and the branch. It worked but seemed to take forever to get the right shot. Finally got the shot and became fairly certain everyone else had their trees and we still needed to cut ours down. Problem 2. The tree did not want to be cut down. It was so wet the saw almost couldn't even cut through the trunk. Plus. This was a thick trunk. Dad managed to cut the tree down. Problem 3. Heavy tree & two kids. 100000 miles away from civilization. I usually carry the tree back. I love the nostalgia of it and it just feels cool. For some reason when I was a kid I thought it was just so cool to carry the tree. It looks cool and it's just my own little tradition. This year I had the same plan as always. As I looked up the hill and thought about the other hill we had left to climb I was somewhat daunted. But I knew I could do it. The tree was full of sap. But somehow I managed to get up the hill. Hill 1 was accomplished. Dad carried you, baby Waider and Little Brother was on his back in the backpack up a slippery hill in rough terrain. It was about this time I decided that I probably should have gone right instead of left to choose our tree. Thankfully, Baby Waider decided to hike the rest of the way up the path. That freed dad up to carry our million pound tree up phase two of the trip back. When we arrived to the main road we take to get our tree we decided to leave the tree there and dad could drive and get it. That way it wouldn't get muddy. We wouldn't be carrying the tree up yet another hill.
By this time Little Brother was fast asleep. Baby Waider had fallen and hurt her hand, mom and dad were crabby, and we had to hike even more. Again I revisited my decision to go to the left. We eventually met back up with our party. Everyone there was in good spirits, had their trees, and had awesome treats. We listened to festive music and took pictures. Dripping with sweat we were ready to PARTY!
Sometimes I feel so overwhelmed with all of our family traditions. Getting ready to do these outings, coordinating with everyone, and all that goes into it. Sometimes I wonder how my own mom did it with three young kids. How she wasn't crazy after all the "family fun. " If she thought it was overwhelming and exhausting we sure never knew. We had a blast. It dawned on me that you too had a blast and probably never even had a clue that mom and dad were irritated. . I look back on the zillions of family pictures of this very event and the picture doesn't tell the whole story ever. People are all smiling and happy. I guess it really hit me that this is what this event is really about. Carrying out a family tradition. Building up to the day we have memories of the previous year with a Normal Rockwell nostalgia. Everything will be perfect. The reality of the day is probably much like Christmas Vacation. But somehow I never go home thinking, "Wow that was a horrible day!" Typically I never remember why I was even annoyed with your dad in the first place. I'm certain next year I will be reminded.
This year we stayed behind a little longer. Remember, dad had to go back for our tree. While we waited for him to get back we got to visit with Bob Stretch. He's possibly one of the smartest people I know. And he imparted some wisdom on me while I was watching the two of you fight over a cookie. I told him that sometimes I feel like having two kids in three years made me crazy. Like really crazy. He told me, (and I hope I have his quote right here) "that's plenty of time, we have time so everything doesn't happen all at once." For some reason that gave me so much clarity on today. I noticed today that the Christmas tree getting group has vastly changed this year. The once kids, Tom, Lauryn, brook, and honestly your mom, aunt Katie, and Uncle Kelly are all grown up! Some day when we make this trip you will be grown up too. Today we had time together that will not be replicated. When you think about each day is like that, but it's these yearly traditions that really highlight it. Next year you will be older, wilder, and maybe even more excited! But as Bob Stretch said it doesn't l happen at once. We have time.
Today I learned a little more about Bob Stretch and a particular sickness and battle he's fighting. I guess I didn't know what a battle he had ahead of him before today. This made today and the tradition of it all seem that much more special. See, Bob Stretch, his wife Pat, and Tom are family. We have so many Christmas traditions with them. Today emphasized how much we need to appreciate every person who is with us on these special occasions. You are lucky to be from a family with a million special occasions. And lots of special people to share them with. As for Bob Stretch I hope he knows he's taking all of us in his heart to Mayo. He's got all of us on his side and he's going to be just fine.
These times we have so so precious and we are so fortunate and blessed to all have each other and be together yet another year. I truly hope that I don't take anyone for granted and they all know how much they really mean to me.
AWE, CRAP!
Today was not without hilarity. Today, as dad was getting our beloved Newfie Mia out of the truck she pooped. On his arm. Dad asked me to help him get it off so I got a million wipes out of the truck and started wiping. It smelled really awful and it wasn't coming off. Dad brought a fleece that he decided he could wear instead. Ya, turns out that the fleece wasn't the best choice since we hiked to the Wyoming border to get our tree, while he carried a three year old and had a one year old on his back. Anyway, as he was overheating still from the adventure of the day he declared he was changing out of the fleece into the dog poop stained shirt to wear on the way home. Fearing the smell I brilliantly observed that we wouldn't be seeing anyone on the way home and the windows were tinted! Go shirtless. We went home via Lead. Lead had construction and a flagger had traffic stopped. She had to come and tell us that we were going to have to wait 15 minutes or go to the other way to Deadwood. She did look at dad like he was nuts, and I couldn't stop laughing.
We brought Baby Waider's chamber pot to the tree outing. We've sort of been on a roll with the whole pooping in the potty. I wasn't about the take any steps back so the potty came with us. Because it is the day when were are all irritating one another I loaded the potty into the bed of the truck without checking to see that it was in fact full of pee. Thus, sloshing pee all over the bed of the truck. Nice one, mom. Despite that bringing the chamber pot was genius. Baby Waider went several times in the little potty and twice happened to be poop. We are on a winning streak for sure. This time I remembered to dump the potty. I dumped it by a tree and started getting ready to go. As I turned to find Mia I'll let you guess where she was and what she was doing. So crap was a big part of our day. Some of my students consider crap a cuss word and after today, I might agree.
The Day Continues
We just finished decorating the tree and it's 8:15PM. All in all this has been a 12 hour non-stop adventure. You both napped in the car while we drove around for MAYBE an hour. We returned home to what I hoped to be Norman Rockwell Christmas tree decorating and in reality it was totally Christmas Vacation. While I strung lights on the tree Little Brother took to taking boxes that hold ornaments out and tearing them to bits. It was in seconds these boxes that house my beloved ornaments were destroyed. Beyond repair. Once he freed the ornament he would throw it. Yes. Throw it. Baby Waider was so excited to decorate the tree that she ran to get the felt ornaments from her felt tree.
We decided to heat up some chili that I had in the freezer for dinner. Awesome idea. Maybe even a little Norman Rockwell. Until Little Brother THREW his bowl of chili all over the floor. It was a complete disaster. Meanwhile I was on the phone trying to locate an online order that went missing. Thankfully dad cleaned up the chili. Once we ate we decided that 1. We were not going to 7PM mass tonight. 2. We were putting on a movie and finishing this tree business. After cuddling and watching the beginning of the Muppet Christmas Carol we were ready to tackle hanging the remainder of the ornaments. Baby Waider loved it and loved all of the ornaments. Especially her Barbie ornaments from Grandpa and Grandma Halter.
Tonight dad got you ready for bed, Baby Waider. You came out to tell me goodnight. As you got out to the living room you put your little hands on your cheeks and said, "Oh mom I LOVE our tree!" Pretty much made the whole ordeal worth it. Thankfully as Bob Stretch said, we have time. I have time to enjoy this holiday season with my adorable little ones. I'm going to say I won't stress out, but I will. I'm going to say I'm not going to stay up all hours trying to create the perfect holiday, but I will. It's not Normal Rockwell without a doubt, but it might just turn out to be something better.
Love,
Mama
These times we have so so precious and we are so fortunate and blessed to all have each other and be together yet another year. I truly hope that I don't take anyone for granted and they all know how much they really mean to me.
AWE, CRAP!
Today was not without hilarity. Today, as dad was getting our beloved Newfie Mia out of the truck she pooped. On his arm. Dad asked me to help him get it off so I got a million wipes out of the truck and started wiping. It smelled really awful and it wasn't coming off. Dad brought a fleece that he decided he could wear instead. Ya, turns out that the fleece wasn't the best choice since we hiked to the Wyoming border to get our tree, while he carried a three year old and had a one year old on his back. Anyway, as he was overheating still from the adventure of the day he declared he was changing out of the fleece into the dog poop stained shirt to wear on the way home. Fearing the smell I brilliantly observed that we wouldn't be seeing anyone on the way home and the windows were tinted! Go shirtless. We went home via Lead. Lead had construction and a flagger had traffic stopped. She had to come and tell us that we were going to have to wait 15 minutes or go to the other way to Deadwood. She did look at dad like he was nuts, and I couldn't stop laughing.
We brought Baby Waider's chamber pot to the tree outing. We've sort of been on a roll with the whole pooping in the potty. I wasn't about the take any steps back so the potty came with us. Because it is the day when were are all irritating one another I loaded the potty into the bed of the truck without checking to see that it was in fact full of pee. Thus, sloshing pee all over the bed of the truck. Nice one, mom. Despite that bringing the chamber pot was genius. Baby Waider went several times in the little potty and twice happened to be poop. We are on a winning streak for sure. This time I remembered to dump the potty. I dumped it by a tree and started getting ready to go. As I turned to find Mia I'll let you guess where she was and what she was doing. So crap was a big part of our day. Some of my students consider crap a cuss word and after today, I might agree.
The Day Continues
We just finished decorating the tree and it's 8:15PM. All in all this has been a 12 hour non-stop adventure. You both napped in the car while we drove around for MAYBE an hour. We returned home to what I hoped to be Norman Rockwell Christmas tree decorating and in reality it was totally Christmas Vacation. While I strung lights on the tree Little Brother took to taking boxes that hold ornaments out and tearing them to bits. It was in seconds these boxes that house my beloved ornaments were destroyed. Beyond repair. Once he freed the ornament he would throw it. Yes. Throw it. Baby Waider was so excited to decorate the tree that she ran to get the felt ornaments from her felt tree.
We decided to heat up some chili that I had in the freezer for dinner. Awesome idea. Maybe even a little Norman Rockwell. Until Little Brother THREW his bowl of chili all over the floor. It was a complete disaster. Meanwhile I was on the phone trying to locate an online order that went missing. Thankfully dad cleaned up the chili. Once we ate we decided that 1. We were not going to 7PM mass tonight. 2. We were putting on a movie and finishing this tree business. After cuddling and watching the beginning of the Muppet Christmas Carol we were ready to tackle hanging the remainder of the ornaments. Baby Waider loved it and loved all of the ornaments. Especially her Barbie ornaments from Grandpa and Grandma Halter.
Tonight dad got you ready for bed, Baby Waider. You came out to tell me goodnight. As you got out to the living room you put your little hands on your cheeks and said, "Oh mom I LOVE our tree!" Pretty much made the whole ordeal worth it. Thankfully as Bob Stretch said, we have time. I have time to enjoy this holiday season with my adorable little ones. I'm going to say I won't stress out, but I will. I'm going to say I'm not going to stay up all hours trying to create the perfect holiday, but I will. It's not Normal Rockwell without a doubt, but it might just turn out to be something better.
Love,
Mama






No comments:
Post a Comment