Wednesday, December 16, 2015

The Waider Family Christmas Tree


Dear Baby Waider + Little Brother Too,

This past weekend we participated in what is one of my favorite family traditions. We do it every year around this time and it is something I have grown to treasure. We got our Christmas Tree. As mentioned in previous blog posts and Facebook posts this is a tradition that I have taken part in since I was young. I'm not sure when it started, but my family has cut our own Christmas tree for as long as I remember. 

Each year is much the same as the previous years. We have fun, we find a tree that is usually more sparse and bare than we would like, we eat snacks, listen to music, and have general merriment and fun. This year we held on to most of our age old traditions. 

I teach second grade and we have a Christmas Around the World unit. My students study different countries and their various holiday customs and traditions. When we study Germany we learn that that is where bringing an evergreen tree into the house was started. This year I latched onto the theory that the evergreen tree kept the bad spirits out of the home for the entire year. Being ultra superstitious I can really get behind keeping bad spirits out of the house. Plus, it is hard to beat the smell of pine trees. 

This year on our hunt we had a great time. I was shocked at how simple it was to get ready for the trip. For the past four years I have been preparing to go everywhere with an infant or baby. This always resulted in packing tons and tons of gear for even a short outing. This year we were ready to go in minutes. We packed our cold weather gear,threw the toddlers in the car and were on the road. Even though society would probably fault me for my decision I brought a couple of iPads with Christmas cartoons downloaded for both of you to watch. You loved it and we had a very peaceful drive and you didn't get as bored waiting for everyone to get ready to go. 

Once we were on our way it became abundantly clear that Little Brother was not loving our time in the wilderness. We were wrongly thinking that he would be able to walk for the journey and enjoy hiking. Instead he wanted to cry, fall, be carried, and repeat. It was initially frustrating, but then I realized that this is likely (hopefully) the last year he will really be this way. Once we FINALLY found our tree and headed back to our festive picnic his hands got cold, and he began to cry. He didn't stop crying until he was in the car, with the car started, and the heat blasting on his hands. He only wanted mama. Initially I was annoyed, I'll admit it, but it was hard to stay that way. It always hits me on these journeys that next year when we go everyone will be a year older. This year I barely even saw Baby Waider because she was out playing with her cousins. So Little Brother and I hung out in the car. We ate candy sticks, and peppermint spoons. He yelled, "No! NO!" anytime I suggested we go back outside. We also sang the, "A,B,C's" which is about the cutest thing I've ever heard. It was a nice moment, and by the time we left the car a nice fire was going and Little Brother was happier. 

We also took our traditional pictures. I think of all the pictures I have with my family growing up most of them are probably taken while getting our Christmas tree. It is an easy way to look back at how we changed over the years. The crew getting the tree each year varies and sadly this year, we were missing Bob, Pat, and Tom. Their absence ever present. Tom has seldom missed and I don't remember very many times when Bob and Pat weren't with us. It was a sad feeling not having them there, but also a hopeful feeling that they will return next year. Last year, Bob gave me a stark reminder that we need to value the time we are given. We have years to adjust to what we have but it can so quickly change. 

This year sometime during the pictures Grandma Halter got a little emotional. We are used to this and I also find that I get emotional too. Not necessarily because I am sad, but rather I am just overwhelmed. Possibly I feel overwhelmed with how vastly blessed I am. The family of five I grew up with has doubled in size! Not only do I have a brother and a sister, but I also have a niece, four nephews, and a brother and sister-in-law. My parents are your grandparents. When you think about it we are passing great traditions on to a great number of people. That itself is pretty amazing. Also, a week ago I wasn't sure that Mia would be able to handle a trip to get the tree because she could hardly walk. Boy was I wrong. Mia went and had a fabulous time. I think she even was able to sneak a few treats. ;) 


I treasure our time together as a little family of four. Even when you are crabby and crying. A time when mom and dad are you most favorite people. (Okay, mostly your favorite people.) A time when a Christmas cartoon makes your day along with hot chocolate and a rice krispee treat. The Christmas Tree hunt is always a time for me stop and really treasure what I have and be thankful for the Christmas season. It is a time when time stops for a moment and we just enjoy each other and all we've been blessed with. Because if having kids has taught more one thing it is that time goes far too quickly. 




Love always,

Mama

P.S. One part I forgot to mention was Baby Waider and Grandma Halter hunting for rocks. Amazingly you are both rock hounds and Grandma Halter loves to show Eleanor "beautiful rocks." Not surprisingly you found some beautiful rocks this trip. 









No comments:

Post a Comment