Tuesday, December 8, 2015

Better Late Than Never

Dear Baby Waider + Little Brother Too,

Better late than never is an old saying that gave me a little motivation today. See, fall is my "busy season." I could actually change that to "crazy busy season" this year. Our fall was packed with hard work, fun, and blessings. With the holidays upon us I wanted to make sure to update the blog from this past fall. I debated just not updating, but as I read back through the blog I know that there is value in what I report to you even if it is MONTHS later. 

As mentioned in a previous post Dad and I were able to share in Jay and Jeremy's wedding in Omaha. It was fantastic and we had a wonderful trip. You had a wonderful time staying at Grandma and Grandpa Halter's house. You went to a football game, pumpkin festival, out to eat, and got to hang out with Aunt Marliss and Cousin Ryan. I'm not certain that you even missed us. But we sure missed you. It'll be awhile before we leave you for an extended period of time. 


Baby Waider turned 4 years old this year! Unbelievable to me. For her birthday weekend we decided to go camping for the long weekend. Unfortunately mom and dad decided to leave on Friday afternoon rather than wait until Saturday morning. That meant we were late to pick Baby Waider up on her birthday. Baby Waider and Little brother were the last kids at the daycare that day. Thankfully Grandma and Grandpa made sure that Baby Waider had an excellent day. They got her a special big cookie that we ate that night at the campsite. They also got all of her daycare friends cookies for snack. It was so appreciated. Camping was perfect. The weather was gorgeous, and it was the perfect trip. We went to brunch at the Game Lodge, went for a hike, and played around our favorite campground. I think the Waider Family would all agree that the Game Lodge is our favorite place on earth. Campfires, the camper, and the most beautiful scenery around.  

 While in Omaha dad bought Baby Waider a Roly Poly Gym. While we were camping we failed to find any Roly Polies, but Baby Waider captured a stink bug for her gym. His name was Cricket and he lived with us for most of our camping trip. The final morning before we left we released Cricket. He didn't want to leave the gym. It was both hilarious and cute. 


Grandma and Grandpa Halter came up one of the mornings for brunch and for some clearance shopping at the Coolidge Store. Baby Waider and Grandma shopped the rocks and gemstones forever. Little Brother was excited about buying another car and ball.  



Another special event  that we had this past fall was Baby Waider's Witches' Ball for her fourth birthday. It was an amazing time. The pictures are worth 1,000 words. 


It could be said that we have "over the top" birthday parties. I love it. Dad and I plan and love to execute. We of course wish they were bigger and better, but for the most part we are really happy with how they turn out. Truthfully though we have to give huge credit to Grandma and Grandpa Halter because of their immense help. Grandpa Marker and Mary are always game to run last minute errands and help out with decorations or decorating. So I can't say it is mom and dad on their own. WE have lots of help!


Each fall also brings Halloween. We carved our own pumpkins at home and went to a carving party at Grandma and Grandpa's house. Trick or treating was a highlight with the night topped off by watching one of our favorite movies Back to the Future. Passing on some of our favorite movies and shows has been one of the best part of having kids. To our surprise you both watched all three of the Back to the Future movies from start to finish.


You will inevitably look back at your pictures and wondering why each year you had several costumes. Truth is we started this tradition. Actually I want to say I started it because of my older cousins. Each year for Halloween we do a Halloween cousin pic with a theme. As you get older you have different ideas from the cousin costumes that we choose. So this year Baby Waider you were a cheerleader (cousin costume), Sleeping Beauty, and a witch(birthday party costume). The way I see it you really don't "do" Halloween all that much in your life. So live it up while you can! So far you seem fine to choose different costumes for different events. Little brother was two football players. The first was playing for the Broncos and the second was playing for the Jets. You know, like Benny and the Jets, the song, by Elton John. You may have to google that song. Or you will remember it from us playing it all the time. This year the cousin photo was disastrous. Benny got cold and cried nonstop. So each picture you can totally tell he's crying. Very frustrating for the mother of the crier who just wants a decent picture. They are still adorable. Just frustrating. 

November was full of cousin birthdays and Thanksgiving. This year we went to make pies the day before Thanksgiving with Grandma Halter. Goodness did we ever make an excellent pie. It was pecan and coconut. DELICIOUS. You both helped Grandma and I got measurements of ingredients ready. It was such a special time. I signed up for mashed potatoes this year. I was pretty excited this year because Baby Waider wanted to peel potatoes. I was pretty reluctant because I didn't want a trip to the ER on Thanksgiving. Dad thought we should let her try because if she started doing it she probably wouldn't do it for long. We were wrong. She "carved," her word for peeled over 5 pounds of potatoes completely on her own! More than once Baby Waider has mentioned wanting to be a chef and you love watching Master Chef Kids. 

Quite possibly the world's greatest pie.

Not too bad for a four year old. Actually your mom was totally impressed that you could do this and do so well! 

Batgirl carving potatoes. 

We also kicked off the holiday by attending the Light Parade. I promise every year that I'm not going to the Light Parade because it is too cold. This year the only disclaimer I added to that statement was that I would like to go if it were snowing. Of course, this year it was snowing. So dad called me on it and we went. It was beautiful and cold. We got hot chocolate from the hot chocolate stand. The light parade goes on for what seems like forever, but both of you were hesitant to leave. Certain that you would miss something. I was thrilled to go home. 

September-November has really been a blur. I am busy at school, busy at WGU, and busy at home. We planned two awesome birthday parties, went an amazing camping trip, had a fabulous holiday, and had the opportunity to celebrate weddings, birthdays, and anniversaries with people who we love and adore. So often I feel lucky. But, lucky doesn't really cover it. We are not lucky. We are  blessed. Sometimes I get overwhelmed by how busy we are all the time. But being busy means we are living. We have so many people to celebrate with and who want to celebrate with us. 

As the holidays approach I can hardly wait to see the excitement on your faces as you share with all of our family traditions. So far you are thrilled with the return of Lucy, our Elf on the Shelf. She's been quite sleepy this year and has failed to return to the North Pole two times this past week! Goodness! Hopefully she's more rested up and will make it back each night this week. 

Love Always, 

Mama


No comments:

Post a Comment