Nineteen years ago I met one of my lifelong best friends. You endearingly know him as Uncle Jay and Jeremy. But before it was Jay and Jeremy, Jay was my bestie. We met our freshman year of college. I think we did some weird backward dance at a mixer that was held in the Young Center Gym. The woman in charge of the mixer said, "Look at the person next to you. What if you are sitting together twenty years from now and you are able to say that you met doing the backward dance at the BHSU new student days?" Jay and I became friends instantly and have been ever since. They say the best friends are those who you can go long periods of time without seeing each other and still pick up right where you left off. That's what I have with Jay. You both are quite fond of Jay and Jeremy and we have a yearly camping trip tradition that is so much fun! They love to spoil you, chase you, play with you, and generally make you wild and crazy. Right after I had both of you Jay was here to greet you. I think recently I've found that friendships take a lot to make them work. Since having two small babies in three years Jay has done 100% of the work in our friendship. He makes trips here, sends gifts, gives us gas cards if we go see him, and gift certificates for food. I value what he has done and hope someday when I'm not stuck in the fog of having toddlers that I can do the same for him. We've been friends through thick and thin and just happen to be the 1999 Swarm Day's King and Queen.
Recently the Supreme Court ruled in favor of gay marriage. When you read this you will likely think it is crazy that there was a time when people were not allowed to marry the person that they love. But I'll never forget in 1998 when Jay told me that he was gay. I was overcome with so many emotions. First, I already knew he was. Second, I was scared. I was scared for him because there was a time when I was worried someone would hurt Jay because of his sexual orientation. I am praying that by the time you read this it isn't even an issue anymore. I think there will always be people who are against the way people choose to live their lives, but we live in such a different time than we did in 1998. Third, I told Jay that eventually he would be able to marry. I told him that a few years back. I was right, just sayin'. Fourth, in 1998 I had no desire to marry, but I was already thinking about how ridiculous it was that Jay would not be able to get married to someone he loved just because they were the same gender. I was actually a wedding DJ then. Trust me. I saw all sorts marry so it really bothered me to know that there were even limits on marriage. (*Mental note. Definitely write a blog about all of the random jobs I've had.)
I honestly get teary when I think about the upcoming nuptuals next weekend. I am so happy that Jay and Jeremy, who met the same year dad and I got married (10 years ago), are able to marry each other. I'm beyond eccstatic for both of them. Jeremy is exactly the guy I would always hope Jay would find. He is kind, funny, hilarious really, and smart. He is easy to talk to and our family loves hanging out with him.
I am excited to go to their wedding in Omaha. Believe me. I've waited ten years to attend "My Best Friends Wedding." But at the same time I am leaving the two of you behind with Grandma and Grandpa Halter. :( I'm so sad to leave you. We can't take you with us. It's going to be a quick trip with too many not kid friendly events and you would not have any fun which would mean that your parents would also not have fun. We are so grateful that Grandma and Grandpa can host you for a few days, but it is breaking my heart to have someone else put you to bed for three nights. By the way, it is my hope that you will go to bed super easily for them.
Planning you staying with Grandma and Grandpa is reminding me of times when my parents would leave us with our grandparents for the weekend. It wasn't very often, but, we. Loved. It. Like had the time of our life. We didn't necessarily do anything that different from what we did at home, but I cherished those times with my Grandparents. It honestly makes me tear up a bit remembering making paper dolls with grandma and having pancakes for breakfast. Grandpa Halter notoriously would sit on the porch while we would play dolls in the yard. I would actually give A LOT to be able to sit on my grandparents' porch while it rained chatting it up with my grandpa. Their porch was so cool. So, despite how sad I am to leave you I know that you are going to have the time of your lives with Grandpa and Grandma. There is something so peaceful about grandparents' houses. As a side note Baby Waider is ecstatic about the upcoming three day slumber party.
Sometimes I like to blog because it gets my feelings out and makes me feel better. Like maybe I won't be so sad about leaving the two of you behind. It actually worked a little. I have realized that you are going to have a ball and that this is a nonnegotiable event. I wouldn't miss it for the world. Mama loves you!
Love,
Mama

No comments:
Post a Comment