Friday, September 11, 2015

Bye Bye Paci

Dear Little Brother, 

Well, you are growing up. Sometimes faster than I would like. Two days ago you turned two. I've been dreading your two year appointment because I didn't want Dr. Lynn to ask the dreaded question, "Does he still have your pacifier?" As of 24 hours ago I would have had to sheepishly answer, "yes." Then last night happened. I of course couldn't find your pacifier at bed time. You were crying and saying, "I want PACI!! I WANT PACI!!" Then I said it. "You  are two now so paci went bye bye." My heart broke a little bit. 

See that paci was as much MY friend as it was YOUR friend. Your sister never liked her pacifier. Not even a little bit. Which made her more difficult as an infant. You and your paci were a different story. It was love at first suck. I loved that paci too because unlike your sister when brother woke up in the night all I had to do was pop that paci in his mouth and we were both off to la la land. I even had glow in the dark ones that I could see in the middle of the night. I LOVED PACI. Baby crying in the car? No worries. All he needed was his pacifier stuck back into his mouth. Loud at church? No worries. Paci. In fact if I really needed you to be occupied while I was getting something done all I had to do was hand you paci and chicken and you would tots around for hours as happy and as quiet as can be. 

But last night. Last night out of terror for telling Dr. Lynn that despite what she had told me six months ago I had made NO progress towards taking paci away I said it. "You are two now so paci went bye bye." A little stunned you looked at me. Clutched chicken a little closer and said, "Okay." You then promptly laid down. Stunned myself I looked as sister came into the room. Devastated she said, "Why is paci gone???!!! My brother loves his paci!" I think she had experienced what I had with paci. It was a tool to distract and make brother happy. Then, completely on her own she ran to her room and grabbed the most coveted Baby Giraffe. She then told me, "Benny loves Baby Giraffe so I'm going to let him sleep with her since his pacis are all gone." See, sister loves you!

AAAAnnnnnndddd, you slept through the night without paci. This morning you didn't even ask for paci. Then came naptime. You immediately wanted paci. I said, "Nope, paci went bye bye. The faries took them because you are a big boy now." (Heartbreaking as I say these words.) This time you fussed a little, but it wasn't long until you said, "Okay," and laid right down to sleep. 

I think I'm coming to terms with the no paci, but I have to say it was much more abrupt than I expected it to be. I thought this would drag on forever. Knowing how stubborn both of you darlings are I can hardly believe it would be this easy to break you of paci. So I guess time will tell. 

For now I'll just be glad I can see more of your adorable face! Without a paci in front of it. 

Love, 

Mama
 


















No comments:

Post a Comment