Sunday, November 6, 2016

Historic Vote



Dear Baby Waider + Little Brother Too,

One of the greatest inventions of modern time is the Timehop app. Today I was reminded of November 6, 2012. The election for Barack Obama's second term. You will likely read through these and think that your parents were obsessed with Barack Obama and that would actually be a fact. As you've read previously we actually met him and have his autograph that you will see again if we ever get moved and get our photographs hung up. Anyway, elections get me impassioned, angry, and right before they happen nervous. I've always been super involved and opinionated probably to a fault. I've been having a day of indulging in the polls and reading all articles pertaining to the election and election stats when I looked at these adorable pictures on my memories from today. 


Seeing those pictures made me feel worried. I know you are probably thinking, worried? These are adorable pictures, but it is so much more than that. Seeing the picture and reading my blog from four years ago reminded me of a time when we had a fantastic candidate for president that I LOVED. I was still hopeful back then and so proud to have a president that had so much dignity, grace, and charism. President Obama and his wife are excellent role models that show what hard work, perseverance, and courage in the face of adversity really looks like. Here I am. Off on another Obama tangent. My point in talking about this again is that three years before you were born we had the 2008 election. That election was Hilary Clinton running against Barack Obama for the Democratic nomination. Needless to say that my obsession with Barack Obama was not any less back then. I actually campaigned for Obama, which included making calls to Ohio and other battle ground states during the primaries. I was not a Hilary fan back then. *However, I also got her signature while she was here and she was very nice to us. Also, side note, your dad like Clinton before he liked Obama in the primaries. Sorry. Back to my point. My point in all of this is that fast forward eight years. The nominee for the Democrats is Hilary Clinton. I had a hard time getting over that election in 2008. Pair that with being a mom of two and having two jobs AND SELLING MY HOUSE AND BUYING ANOTHER ONE I haven't been as involved with this election. I support Clinton, but not as whole-heartedly as I would like. Grandma Halter pointed out that Barack Obama got over the 2008 election and actually put her in his cabinet so I need to move on too. I think what hit me today is that its not that I am not excited for Hillary Clinton to be president. It's just that I am sadder for Barack Obama to leave office. You know, my previous post, I hate change. Which is actually ironic because Barack Obama's entire campaign was centered around change. 

We face another historic election Tuesday. This time I am going to be voting for the first female president. Which is super exciting. When you wake up on Wednesday morning you might be a part of a world where a woman really can do anything in this country. The alternative...well...it's terrifying. 

There is a man running against Hilary Clinton who happens to be a joke of a candidate. I say a joke because I feel like it can't be serious that he's a candidate. I've spent the past few months waiting for something to happen where it isn't true that he is the candidate, but it seems like he's a bad dream that keeps happening over and over again. The polls are tight and I'm terrified. I can't imagine a world where Donald Trump is the president. He's an awful, pompous, sickening individual who takes advantage of people, makes fun of disabled people, and feels that it is his entitled right to do whatever he wants to women. He's disgusting. When he's on TV we have to turn it off because he says such inappropriate things that scary, untrue, or hurtful. 

Hands down this is the nastiest election I've ever seen. The country is truly divided. Perhaps the most maddening claim is people saying, "I don't like either candidate. It's like choosing between two evils." Not true. I want you to know that Hillary Clinton does not touch the evil that is Donald Trump. On Tuesday we will vote as a family. I envision that one of you will go with dad and one of you will go with me. We will cast our vote with you in our mind and hearts. I often tell people that Barack Obama is the reason that we had children. We believed that he would create a country that was a better place than when he entered office, which he did. Your dad and I will be voting and keeping in mind a few reasons why we are casting our historic vote. Although my vote has nothing to do with Clinton being a woman it has everything to do with her sharing a vision with me for the future for my children. 

I just have to make one more point. I haven't ever been wild about the policies of our Republican presidents. I whole-heartedly disagreed with 98% of what George W. Bush did while he was in office. But he seemed like a nice enough guy and someone you could probably get a drink with. I would not ever want to be in the same room as Donald Trump. His character and actions are so deplorable that I cannot fathom why anyone supports him. Quite frankly it's embarrassing and the fact that he's the nominee makes me scared for this nation. The fact that the polls are this close makes it even more terrifying. 

I'm hoping for a BIG WIN for Clinton on Tuesday. She really is the most qualified for this job. Lastly, today during the 100 political shows and posts I read Obama stands out the most. I'm paraphrasing here but he said something like, "Not every decision you make is an inspired decision. Just because Hilary Clinton doesn't inspire you isn't a reason for not voting for her. Sometimes you just have to do the right thing. Voting for Clinton is the right thing." Of course I completely agreed with him. So on Tuesday, our family will do the right thing. In four years maybe I'll be writing a blog about how great the Clinton presidency was! We can hope, right?

Love always, 

Mom 


No comments:

Post a Comment