Wednesday, May 10, 2017

Doin' Something Right!

Dear Baby Waider + Little Brother Too,

If you decide to become a parent you will inevitably find that it is a tough, tough job. Most of the time you feel like you are failing at best. I often feel like I spend a good majority of my time being frustrated, annoyed, and naggy. Yesterday, however, I had a moment, actually more than a moment, a whole morning of glee! We took a quick trip to Custer State Park. Arguably my favorite place in the world. I was delighted when Little Brother asked if we could go to Custer State Park. The day was beautiful and I knew we would see lots of buffalo calves. So often I feel like I can't say yes to an impromptu trip anywhere. "We have too much to do" is often the first phrase out of my mouth. Yesterday was different. Your dad did have too much to do so we decided to leave him behind and go on an adventure. First parenting win. Going on an adventure. 

Our first stop was at the gift shop. If I've done nothing with my life I've passed on my love of a good gift shop to both of you. The Coolidge Store is probably one of the best around in my opinion. I couldn't resist your excitement and let you both impulse buy buffalo souvenirs. That probably shouldn't count as a win, but it could count as a time I didn't immediately say no. 

We carried on to Heddy Draw which is a beautiful place to see Black Elk Peak and Cathedral Spires. We went on a small hike and enjoyed the sites. We also climbed some rocks and it was just cool to see how excited you were about just being outside. You observed rocks, plants, and loved the tall Ponderosa Pines. It was in that moment that I realized I have done something right. I've passed along my love of nature and all things outdoors to both of you. I along with your dad have always treasured hiking, biking, camping, and just being in the forest. Nothing will help you find your center more than a trip to vast group of trees in bright sunshine. Yesterday was such an awesome opportunity to reset and refocus before taking on the last 15 days of the school year. 

After Heddy Draw we proceeded onto the "You Might See Wildlife Loop." I call it that because when I worked at Blue Bell Lodge disgruntled tourists would come in and say, "We went on that wildlife loop and didn't see anything!" They were outraged. So that's why I changed the name. We DID see wildlife fortunately. We saw thousands of buffalo, and many with their babies.We watched them run, play, and nurse from their mamas. It was really delightful. It really is a simple, yet totally magnificent thing all at the same time. I was so happy that you found watching the buffs as entertaining as I did. 

We jammed out with the moon roof open to some excellent tunes all singing at the top of our lungs. Never underestimate the power of doing that because you will never feel sad when engaging in this activity.It will leave you feeling invigorated and ready to tackle anything. 

Our fabulous morning wrapped up with a picnic at the new visitor's center picnic area. It was gorgeous even if Little Brother spilled his entire lunch and I had to give him my Lunchable. Baby Waider also twisted her ankle and totally biffed it, but she most importantly got back up and kept on walking. 

I may be failing some days, but yesterday I realized that somewhere I must be doing something right. You kids love to hike, be in the forest, observe animals at safe distances, sing your heart out with all the windows open while on a beautiful drive, and can also enjoy a good gift shop. What a fun memory we made!

Love Always, 

Mama


No comments:

Post a Comment