Dear Baby Waider + Little Brother Too,
Recently we did our annual cousin Halloween Photoshoot. One of my previous blogs most likely addresses this, but my memory being questionable I don’t remember if I have or not. My cousins, Carrie and Julie Carda (side note I’ve idolized them my entire life. They were always super pretty, fun, and all around amazing) when their kids were young they always did a themed cousin photoshoot. I never really latched onto much that made me say, “When I have kids they’re doing that.” But the cousin shot was different. I almost immediately thought, “Oh, hell yes my kids are doing that.” Thankfully Auntie Katie and Auntie April felt the same way and we’ve made the cousin shot a reality. You’re all really good sports about it. The shot is rarely what you want to be for Halloween and as you get older I find that you often fear that the costumes are “uncool.” This year the choice was Toy Story 4. We were ecstatic because Mom and Auntie have made friends with an antique shop called, Younique Finds. She agreed to let us use her amazing space as a spot to take our iconic shot. Her backdrop was amazing with classic toys and delicious old pieces begging to be captured. It. Was. Perfect.
I think it’s time to mention that I used to be into photography. I loved taking and editing pictures. A slow computer and lack of time has recently turned me to using my iPhone more, losing my dslr camera’s battery and not even taking the photos. Auntie April on the other hand is an amazing photographer, she has a business, and still takes and edits these pictures for us! We’re so fortunate because they’re amazing. I’m so grateful she takes them. Without her this tradition would have died with my cannon 60d.
This brings me to questions that I often hear. I will address and answer them the best that I can.
My children, niece, and nephews: WHY DO WE HAVE RO TAKE THESE STUPID PICTURES????
Answer: Because I love them. You are only this age for one Halloween. You and your cousins are so damn cute I can’t stand it. I have an intense love of theme wear and seeing all of you in one theme brings me so much joy. Also, your future significant others are going to love to see these costumes. They may even serve as some bribery. Your aunts, (maybe uncles???) grandmas and grandfathers love to see them. Not to mention the joy they bring to Facebook land. All these people are invested in you and how you’re growing up. I feel that we owe it to them to come up with a theme and deliver. The shorter answer is that you’re creating memories with each other. During the shoot you laugh, cry, and put your arms around other. You seven have a terrific bond that shines through these pictures. ❤️ My favorite from this year is the collective shouting, “DUKE KA BOOM, DUKE KA BOOM!”
Facebook land/friends/family: How do you get the kids to take this picture?
Answer: General threats and bribes. I will tell your dad to come and get you. Do you want to have a birthday party this year? You’re not getting ice cream. When we need to bring out the big gun, Grandma Halter asking or begging for cooperation usually works pretty well. The biggest hurdle we run into is general silliness, laughing, and fatigue. For the most part I think the kids have fun.
Do the kids ever get to choose their costume:
Answer: Yes. They are rarely only the theme costume. In fact it’s often only for the picture. Some years they are something different for each event we do.
A long answer for a short question. Our cousin Halloween photo tradition is one of my favorites.
Love Always,
Mom
Now for the photos!

No comments:
Post a Comment