Monday, July 30, 2012

Custer State Park, Pools, Parades, Hell's Angels, and Keystone...These are a Few of My Favorite Things!

Dear Baby Waider,

Summer insists upon speeding by at record speeds. It feels like I just sat down to write the post on the last day of school and it is already almost August. :( Quite a few people have asked me if I'm sad that summer is almost over. Sad...yes, but I've decided to live by a Dr. Seuss quote in this instance. "Don't cry because it's over. Smile because it happened." Words cannot express how thrilled I am that we had this summer together. Not to mention the fact that we still get to spend 22 days of fun together. Anyway I have been feeling some urgency to accomplish a few of my favorite things this summer to share them with you. So get our your checklist! Here's what we've done so far.

Custer State Park

Recently we took our first "camping" trip to Custer State Park. Mom worked two of the best summers (pre-Ellie) in her life as a waitress in Custer State Park. She loves CSP and has passed this love onto your father. This time, however, we were more than a little disappointed. First, it was BLAZING HOT! On the wildlife loop the car thermometer said that it was 119. MISERABLE. Then, when it would cool down the biting flies would come out. After the biting flies left the mosquitoes were out and it was humid. Oh, and because there was a raging fire near there and it is dryer than a cotton ball we couldn't have a campfire.

Since we couldn't have a campfire and it was too hot to cook we went to eat at the Game Lodge and the Blue Bell Lodge. The food was not too great, in fact at the Blue Bell it was HORRENDOUS. I was pretty disappointed over all. We didn't walk, hike, or bike. It was way too hot. Pretty much we pulled the camper to the park, sat in the camper, and entertained you. You pretty much just wanted to crawl. All in all, we had a good time, but would I want to repeat it? Probably not?

Lessons Learned?

Things are not always how you remember them. Move on and get over it.

Camping when it is hot is like sunbathing when it is cold. Kind of pointless and annoying.

Camping without a campfire is pretty pointless.



You and dad at the Game Lodge

POOL!

Another one of my all time favorite summer activities turns out to be one of your favorite activities too!! Going to the pool. We have a couple different experiences.

1. We go with Super Aunt Becky and the daycare kids to Parkview Pool. Super Aunt Becky and I have been swimming there for YEARS!!! Maybe since cousin Lauryn was a baby??? We feel like we own that pool, and you love it too. Your best pool pal is Super Aunt Becky. You splash, kick, and laugh all while your mom catches a few rays.

2. We had a pool party here! We had Finn, Bree, and Catelyn out to swim while mom, Aunt Katie, and our friend LynnDee chatted and hung out. You had a blast. Cousin Finn went up and down the slide 1000 times and Catelyn took really good care of you. All in all the pool party was a blast. I love pool parties.

Lessons Learned?

Pools are the best. All kinds of pools. Anytime. Anywhere.



Finn trying to climb up the slide. 


All the kids playing! 


Auntie helping you down the slide. 


You and the Fenster Girls! 


Parades

I dig parades. All kinds of parades. On Saturday we went to the Day's of '76 Parade. I remeber the parade from when I was a kid. First, I don't think that they had candy and secondly, there were gun fights. This one had a couple of shots fired, but nothing major. This time there was also candy thrown. We had a good time with Grandma, Grandpa, Auntie Katie, Uncle Robbie, Dad, Cousin Vern, Cousin Finn, and Cousin Brook.

Lessons Learned?

Sometimes you just have to stop and enjoy floats that go by for really no apparent reason other than to celebrate something...I love parades, the floats, bands, horses, and candy, but now that I'm trying to write about it...it seems strangely lame...Nonetheless we are going to lots of parades next summer!

I didn't take any pictures of the parade! :(


Hell's Angels

You are probably wondering why in the world I would write that Hell's Angels are some of my favorite things. Well, I'll tell you. I have always been interested in motorcycle gangs. My interest was heightened a few years back when I had the opportunity to meet Sonny Barger. The most infamous Hell's Angel around. He was amicable, for the hard core, 1%er biker that he is. I really would have had no idea who he was except everyone around me was super excited that he was stepping out of his huge stretch Jack Daniels limo. He oddly walked over to my little t-shirt shack along with an entire entourage of Hell's Angels, Hell's Angel's fans, and spectators. There were many bikers crowded in this tiny area and Sonny Barger was right up front. I felt the need to somehow entertain all of these bikers and I was sure what to do, so I asked a question. "How many of you here are Hell's Angels?" Naturally that would be my question because I'm a teacher. What's even funnier is that the Hell's Angels, including Sonny Barger all raised their hands. The only Hell's Angels that didn't raise their hands were Sonny Barger's HUGE BLONDE TWIN bodyguards. They just scowled. This strange encounter sparked my curiosity about biker gangs so I was anxious to read all about them in Sonny Barger's book. Don't worry, I'll pass ALL of my biker gang knowledge onto you on your 18th birthday.


Sonny Barger way back when. 


An old 1%er. This is what he looked like when I met him. 

You are probably wondering what this has to do with this summer. Well, Spearfish was having a Hell's Angel Convention. Naturally I felt that I HAD to get up there to see some Hell's Angels. We did see some, but only from our cars. Probably a good thing too because I wanted to get a picture taken with some Hell's Angels, and your dad wasn't thrilled with the idea. I'll show him. The rally hasn't even started. My point, which I'm getting to is that I meet REALLY COOL PEOPLE. Don't worry, I'll tell you in another blog about meeting Dee Snyder from Twisted Sister. That and that the Hell's Angels actually led us to Spearfish where you had a blast in the creek and at the fish hatchery. You loved the big trout and didn't seem to mind that the water was freezing cold. Your cousins Finn and Vern probably fed the fish $10 worth of food and we even had a chance to take a cousin shot!



Cousins! Minus Harry.


You and Vern

Lessons Learned?

Probably shouldn't chase Hell's Angels.

Chasing Hell's Angels leads to super fun activities.

Ellie Belly loves to swim. No matter the time or the temperature.






Keystone

Later that night after the parade and Hell's Angels hunt we went to Keystone. It is a little tourist town near Mt. Rushmore. You had a blast. You munched on peas and looked at all the lights and sights. Grandma and Grandpa Halter were there and so were Aunt April and Uncle Kelly with Vern and Harry. You didn't get a souvenir, but I know at some point in time you will be scoring tons of trinkets. What's funny is how you just take it all in. You loved it all. The fudge shop, creepy trinket shops, and walking down main street. Even though it may not seem that excited going to Keystone was one of my FAVORITE things to do when I was   a kid and I hope to take you there many, many times.

Chilling with the grandparents in Keystone. (I forgot to take other pictures.)

Lesson learned?

Your dad will buy you anything. Seriously. Hit him up!

I have loved all of our summer adventures and can't wait for the many, many more to come.

Love,

Mama

1 comment:

  1. This was adorable, Carol. When I first saw the title, I thought the "Keystone" reference was the beer... and I was about to shout to the world that I found my long-lost best friend. :) But you were talking about a town- haha.

    I hope you're having a great week!

    ReplyDelete