Dear Baby Waider + Little Brother Too,
Earlier this week Grandpa Halter said, "Hey, Carol, do you want to take Ellie and go to Sturgis?" My response was, "I'll think about it." Truth was I did kind of want to bring you to Sturgis. You had been there when I was pregnant with you two years ago and thought it might be fitting to be there with this kiddo too. So we loaded up the Subi and headed to Sturgis. I was pretty sure I'd made a HORRIBLE mistake as we drove into town and drove down Lazelle St. It's like you forget all of the people and by people I mean crazy, mostly naked people who are at Sturgis. When you go back it all floods back to you and you remember the nudity, vulgar t-shirts, crazy hair, painted ladies, gangs, and ultimately the reason you probably wouldn't want your little girl, who happened to be wearing an adorable pink and white gingham dress with cupcakes on it, to be apart of the crowd. Anyway grandpa assured me that you would not be traumatized by this trip.
We got parked, which was and always is an ordeal. We walked to Main Street and you were just fine. All the super loud noises, herds of creepy bikers, loud pipes, loud music, and putrid smells had little to no effect on you. You had a big old smile on your face and seemed to be enjoying it. Grandpa was having a blast, and surprisingly so was I! Grandpa is a huge fan of the Sturgis Rally and speculated that your first trip to the Sturgis Rally was actually his 40th trip! We tried to find a shirt that said "This is my 40th Rally" for him and a "This is my 1st Rally" for you, but we struck out on all accounts. Additionally, I remember shirts being something like 3 for $10, but they are not that price anymore. They are more like 1 for $10. So I decided to not get you a t-shirt. Possibly a mistake since we had such a nice time.
The trip itself was pretty uneventful. Lots of tacky souvenirs. Lots of bikes. Lots of weird people. Six painted ladies. Not too much more. Sturgis is pretty typically the same year after year after year after year. What was fun this time was hanging out with Grandpa Halter, who loves the Rally. Hanging out with you. Walking around Sturgis. Eating the awesome cinnamon cashews. We snapped a few pictures. Even got one of the 3 generations at Sturgis. All and all a good time and a great chance for Grandpa Halter to pass on one of his favorite outings of year.
Three generations at Sturgis!
You and papa at the rally!
A random bike parked on the sketchy side of Main Street.
This would be a prime example of one of the tacky souvenirs. I think tacky is a description that fits it well, as does creepy.
As always it is so much fun showing you the world!
Love,
Mama




No comments:
Post a Comment