Sunday, August 11, 2013

Digital World

Dear Baby Waider + Little Brother Too,

So I've decided on a NEW blog title. I feel sort of sad combining your blog, Baby Waider, with your brother's blog. I know when I was a kid I would have wanted my OWN separate blog. But, now that I am an adult I wouldn't really care about the blogs being combined. So if it bothers you just wait a few years. It won't bother you forever. Anyway I stole the "and brother too" from a blog who I can't remember to give the person credit to. I changed the and to a +, added little and I like it. I'm sure some blogs will be specifically Baby Waider content and some will be specifically Little Brother content. So I will address those accordingly. I've already realized some blogs I've left out for Little Brother that I need to write.

The point of this blog wasn't to talk about the shiny new title. What I wanted to really discuss is how awesome I think technology is. A few years back this video was all over. I generally despise comics. I don't find them the least bit funny and often find them to be offensive. Which is odd because I generally like offensive things so I'm not sure why I have this immense disgust for comedians. Anyway, the clip below is my all time favorite and it always cracks me up. You are growing up on a world that is so different from even the world I grew up in. In many ways you will grow up in an easier world, yet so much more complicated.


"Everything is amazing and nobody is happy" by Meowbay


Your dad and I love to quote the video above when our phones are being particularly slow. For instance I may send him a picture text and it takes 45 seconds rather than 30. I like to get frustrated that it is being, "SO SLOW!" but it is in fact traveling to space and then back to dad's phone, which is pretty amazing when you think about it. I like to think of my Grandpa Halter when I think about technology. He was an old guy, but he was pretty "up" on technology. He had a Commodore 64, which was pretty hip for an old guy to have. I have no idea what he ever did with it. We played asteroids and other games on it that would look totally old school by any of today's standards. But what your GG Halter would be so fascinated by is the fact that we carry a phone in our pocket. This phone is essentially a computer with about 10 ways to communicate with any given person in any given place anywhere in the world. Not only that, but it takes pictures, and even can access the Internet. It is pretty unbelievable when you really think about it. What's even more unbelievable is the fact that you will never know a world without this type of technology. You love this book called Glitter Colors. You love to point to the pictures and say "That?" Which is short for "What's that?" The picture that really made me think about this blog is this picture:


I honestly didn't even know how in the world to explain to you what this is. You have play phones, but most of them resemble a cordless phone that could almost pass as a cell phone. This phone in this picture is something you will never know in your life. You will never be attached to the wall as you have a conversation. You will probably never have to share a "home phone."

What amazes me is how nostalgic people are for this old, out dated form of communication. I don't miss having a home phone at all. I don't miss having to listen to 100 messages after being gone all day and I love that 95% of my communication with people happens through text message. It actually makes me feel like I have more time. I also LOVE the world of Facebook. There, I said it. I LOVE FACEBOOK. People love to criticize Facebook and other avenues of social media. Why would I ever hate something that keeps me in touch with my family who live thousands of miles away? I get to see their children grow up and I feel a connection with them that makes those miles seem much closer. I keep in contact with friends from every avenue of my life and get to see their kids grow up. I am amazingly connected with so many people I feel rich! Some will argue that friends are about quality, not quantity, but I personally love sharing my life with all the people who have contributed to who I am. I would find it sad to be isolated to a few people who I could exclusively have phone conversations with regularly. I do enjoy an occasional phone conversation, but it makes it difficult to be with you and manage a phone call.

Bottom line is that your life will be exponentially different from mine in ways that I can't even imagine right now. I am excited for you in that respect and I am also pretty glad you won't ever know the annoyance of being stuck to the wall on a phone or have to rewind anything ever.

As always, Mama loves you.

Love,

Mama.

1 comment: