Sunday, December 8, 2013

Family Centerpiece

Dear Baby Waider + Little Brother Too,

Since I have had this blog for over two years now I am beginning to feel like my posts are redundant. This past weekend we had our annual St. Nick's Party. Last year I posted a blog about this St. Nick's Party, and obviously this year was also a blog worthy event. However, this year as we were crafting, dancing, and decorating away I really got to thinking again about our table. Now, to look at the table you would probably not think that it was very special. It has many scratches, stains, heat marks, the finish is coming up, I spilled acetone on it and it made a huge spot and took the finish up. This past summer I was cutting a taco with nothing under it so for all of eternity or until we refinish the table nine lines perfectly spaced grace the top of it. The pedestals which the top sits are badly faded, have water stains, major nicks out of them, and the brass or whatever is on the corners is tarnished and abused. Basically, what was probably once a beautiful piece of furniture is showing its age. To tell you the truth your mom and dad have never put an emphasis on furniture. Everything we have (minus mattresses and your crib which G and G Halter bought) is used. Wow, now that I type that it is true. We have no new furniture in this house. None of it really has a story, except that our living room furniture is hopelessly ugly, 1980's and incredibly comfortable. We've gone to buy furniture many times but we always find some other ridiculous way to spend money. Back to the table. I acquired the table in 2003? Maybe. It was either when my Grandma Halter went to assisted living or shortly after she passed away. It came as a set with six chairs, a buffet, and a corner cabinet. At the time I was living in an apartment on Main S. in Sturgis. I had room for a table and a corner cabinet, but not the buffet. Fortunately I had room to store it. I can't remember how it got to Sturgis from Rapid. My best guess is that Uncle Kelly and his friend Alan brought it up in Alan's little truck. Mostly likely it was Uncle Kelly. To date I think he's moved the set 1,000 times. And let me tell ya, it isn't light. From that apartment to another apartment to the house I currently live I kept the set. The second apartment I had did not have room for any of the set so it was all stored and totally inconvenient. Of all the "stuff" I have this set is probably some of my favorite stuff.

Ironically, yesterday dad was wearing a shirt with Great Grandpa and Grandma's picture on it. Maybe that's what got me thinking about the table. You, Finn, Vern, Harry, and Grandpa were gathered around the table decorating cookies with Aunties Katie and April. Shortly after that your dad and grandma constructed the world's most epic gingerbread house. You and your cousins decorated sugar cone Christmas Trees. Then we ate pizza around it for lunch. In just three short hours in the morning we created a bunch of memories around the table. It got me thinking about memories I have from the table when I was little. We used to do crafts and drawing with Grandma Halter. We'd play cards with Grandpa or the aunts, uncles, and cousins. We ate countless dinners of goulash, lunches of tuna-fish sandwiches with tapioca pudding, and breakfasts of pancakes. When it was just Grandpa and Grandma Halter the table was mostly covered with mail, paper, and, well, junk. I can safely say that this table's primary function is still holding papers and mail. Sometimes we eat at it. Mostly, it holds stuff and when we have company people eat at it. Most mornings I eat breakfast and drink coffee at it. Baby Waider you love to paint, color, and play play doh at it. Right now, Baby Waider, you are painting while Little Brother watches while I blog.




Before we had you children we probably play 1,000,000 games of cribbage at it. I would wager a guess that your dad and I have corrected approximately 10,000,000 papers at this table. I did most of my master's degree work at this table and also did much of my Fellowship work with the Department of Education at this table. As I thought about this blog post today I am so grateful that I have this table. It really is the centerpiece of our lives. I have memories at it that span my entire life and both of you will someday have similar memories. Hopefully, one day one of you will have it at your house. I hope that you will get together with your family and enjoy old traditions and start traditions of your own. I also hope that you pay to have it refinished because I think it would really be beautiful, but since your dad and I just use furniture and don't really worry about what it looks like don't count on us making any drastic changes to the set.

If we didn't have the table the St. Nick's party would not be that great. Decorating cookies on our floor would be totally nasty. Wayy too much dog and cat hair. Not to mentioned dried food, and other gunk. Here are some photos that capture the day! I think it was fun. Little Brother has not been sleeping well at night so I was in a fog for some of the party. But it was a good time. Auntie April brought cookies, frosting, and icecream cones to make into trees! Grandma brought treats and frosting! Auntie Katie brought loads of CANDY! My favorite part was when St. Nick came. Vern was more excited that presents just showed up that he wanted to keep recreating the experience. So while we waited for pizza to arrive we would hide our eyes and Vern would bring us presents. I dug up a 2012 St. Nick's party pic to share here. It's fun to see how much everyone has changed since last year. Notice a new little brother/ cousin this year. I love the holidays!



As always Mama loves you!

Love,

Mama

1 comment:

  1. Love that all of our kids are sharing in the tradition of St. Nick's - it's awesome!

    ReplyDelete