Sunday, December 1, 2013

That's a Wrap!




Dear Baby Waider + Little Brother Too,

If you ever want twelve weeks to fly by just have a baby. Twelve weeks can be quicker than the blink of an eye. I could swear it was only yesterday that I was saying good bye to Baby Waider and sobbing as I entered the emergency room ready to have Little Brother. Speaking of Baby Waider where have the past two years gone? So it is that my maternity leave is over. The magical time that you only get once in the lifetime of your child. The time where it gets to be just mom and baby. When I had Baby Waider I spent probably three straight weeks of my maternity leave crying about having to go back to work. I was fairly certain someone was ripping my beating heart from my chest. (Yes. I was THAT sad). But this time has been different. I knew what was coming. Just as Little Brother was starting to be his cutest I would have to leave him with grandma for the day. Just when I was getting the hang of having an infant again he would not be only mine anymore. No more cuddles for hours on the couch soaking up daytime TV. No more long afternoon walks with Mia. No more napping together. It would all end. But, instead of being sad that it was ending all too soon I soaked it up. Every. Last. Second. I cuddled until I could cuddle no more. I would just smell Little Brother's adorable head for hours. We would take pictures for hours on end. I just took it all in the best that I could. 

I found a quote that rings in my head often. It is, "So quiet down cobwebs. Dust go to sleep. I'm rocking my baby and babies don't keep."  I did pretty well following this, but then I realized that a dirty house makes me very crazy and crabby so I did keep up on the cleaning. But, I am happy to report that for the most part I took the time to enjoy my little boy.  

SICKNESS
Just as I was about to begin my last days of maternity leave, with my feet propped up, drinking a cup of coffee and watching Kelly and Michael I got a text from Grandma Halter. "Baby Waider has a fever." UGH! I thought in my head. The nephews had been super duper sick so I knew this wasn't going to be a quick illness. I knew I was signing on for a long haul and some tough times. And that was the truth. Just as I went to pick up Baby Waider, Little Brother started to cough... Monday and Tuesday dad had to work. Since I was on maternity leave (Keep in mind it was no longer PAID maternity leave so I was actually paying $211 per day to have all this fun) it was me + 2 sick kids=nearly crazy mama. Seriously. I have an immense respect for single moms. I can't imagine doing this job alone. Ever. Anyway. Baby Waider did have quite the cough and fever. I had suspected that both kids would require a trip to the doctor. Thankfully our nurse, Shar, rules and she just made us an appointment for Wednesday morning, first thing. Dr. Lynn took a listen and it was determined that we had to get an x-ray to determine if Baby Waider had pneumonia, which she of course did. By the time we got home she was basically a disaster. Crying, fever, coughing, the works. It. Was. Glamorous. At the height of glamour she actually coughed up...well...you know..phlegm. After coughing it up Baby Waider put it in her hand and brought it to me and said, "Here mama." It was fantastic. Little Brother was also a snot fountain. Basically, I was covered in snot, spit, puke, you name it, I had it on me. I was hoping by the time I went back to work tomorrow everyone would be better. Unfortunately, Little Brother's cough got much, much worse last night which required us to bring him to the doctor this morning. After running some tests they were able to rule out RSV, Influenza, and something else...Results for whooping cough don't come until Wednesday. Thankfully they are treating him for whooping cough anyway. Here's hoping for a speedy recovery. There is nothing worse than watching your kids be sick.

Thanksgiving

Thanksgiving signaled the end of my maternity leave. I have always loved Thanksgiving. Wonderful food, family, fun, and SHOPPING. This year I felt that I had so much more to be thankful for. A new baby, modern medicine, health, dad's broken ankle healing, dad's new job, and so much more. Life is just pretty darn good for the Waiders. So despite the major illness we had a good day. It also helped that Baby Waider took a five hour nap. When she woke she was pretty much a disaster which led to us going home shortly after she woke up. That evening Lady Gaga and the muppets did a bizarre special on TV which Baby Waider actually watched from start to finish. All in all a good day. We did some Black Friday shopping from our laptops and dad went out to snag a few bargains. We didn't really partake in any of the traditional holiday season kick offs like the light parade or Christmas tree lighting. We stuck close to home and relaxed. Hopefully this will be the last bought of illness until the holidays are past.


So it is with a slightly heavy heart I go back to work tomorrow. In some ways anxious because I am excited to see my students and coworkers. I know that I want both of you, Baby Waider and Little Brother Too, to have excellent teachers when you go to school. I feel that I am a good teacher and that my students need me to return. I do an important job and I thank God everyday that Grandma Halter can care for you while I am away. She does a very important job too. Little Brother, it's been really fun and I will miss you like crazy. Three weeks until Christmas Break!

As always, Mama loves you.

Love,

Mama

No comments:

Post a Comment