Sunday, April 19, 2015

15 years

Dear Baby Waider + Little Brother Too, 

I feel like I blog about my job far too often. I hope you never perceive it as I WANT you to be like dad and me and become a teacher. I want you to be whatever you want to be. I am not lying that I would be thrilled if you also became teachers because I seriously love what I do, but I ultimately want you to choose a profession that makes you happy, not makes me happy. That being said I blog about teaching so often because for me it is more than a job. I have been a teacher for most of my adult life. It is my passion and I'm proud to be a teacher.  

Last Friday was a pretty typical day at school for the late part of mid-April. I ended the day by stopping at my mailbox. I had a letter from the school district that said I would be recognized at the Teacher Appreciation Banquet for 15 years of service. I would never have expected to be affected by the letter like I was. I felt honored, proud, and sentimental. As my eyes scanned the letter I was immediately taken back 15 years. I had been working on my Mrs. Kallas blog for the past few weeks and listening to a book that took place during the time I was in college, so it didn't take long for my mind to find its way back there. 

I've always prided myself on being at the right place at the right time. I feel that I've been wildly successful. I tend to over-exaggerate so more truthfully I've probably been mildly successful. I can name people in my life who've made a big impact upon my life and ultimately led to what I would consider success. My family of course has played a major role. My husband, parents, grandparents, aunts, siblings, uncles, and cousins have blessed me with a life full of joy, inspiration, and happiness. Many of my relatives were teachers so that was a seed that was planted early in my life. I was even lucky enough to have the opportunity to help and work with Super Aunt Becky. I knew I wanted to teach from the time I was in second grade. That's when I started torturing teaching my siblings by playing school with them. 

I had some fantastic elementary school teachers. By far the best was Mrs. Wagner. She was funny, compassionate, and a snappy dresser. Mrs. Wagner was super nice to me, but that isn't why I remember her. I remember her because prior to being in fifth grade I was content with whatever grades I happened to earn. I feel like I tried, but I never really tried too hard. I remember Mrs. Wagner saying after a Social Studies test where I was happy that I earned a "C." Mrs. Wagner told me that I could do better. I could be getting "A's" not "C's."  I do not remember her wording, but I do remember her telling me that I COULD be an "A" student. It was almost as if I had to be told I could be a good student. Mrs. Wagner pretty much sold me on being a teacher myself. She seemed to enjoy every single day and everything that we did. I pretty much wanted to be her. 

My previous blog mentioned instrumental people from my college years. If you remember Mrs. Kallas got me back to being a teacher after giving me an amazing student teaching experience. She reminded me of all the things I loved about fifth grade and ignited a love for teaching I had forgotten about with the stress and monotony of college. Because of her inspiration when Super Aunt Francy told me of an opening in Meade School District I decided to apply. The opening I applied for was a third grade at Sturgis Elementary, I think. Mrs. Kallas helped me with the application process, which I believe I actually completed part of it on a typewriter. Portions of it HAD to be handwritten, which is unheard of today. I made a resume and a cover letter. I was in it for the long haul. 

Not surprisingly I got an interview with Mr. Norm Graham. Sidenote, Mr. Graham was my elementary principal. Aunt Francy totally got me the interview. I walked into the interview and expected Mr. Graham to be the only one there. WRONG! It was Mr. Graham and about 100 other people. Okay, not 100 but possibly 9 other people. It was ridiculous. I don't remember one thing I said in that interview. I do remember getting the call from Mr. Graham. He said, "Thanks for interviewing, you did a good job, but we went with someone who had a masters degree. That didn't even mean anything to me at the time. I was sad, but not devastated. Remember? I was going to Wisconsin. I wasn't going to waitress, but I had a job at a summer camp lined up so I wasn't too worried. Not too long after I got the call from Mr. Graham I got a call from Dan Olson. He asked me to come in for an interview. He had a position open in third grade. Whitewood is a tiny little town. Maybe 600ish people? I was more confident in this interview because when I walked in the room it was just Mr. Olson. We instantly seemed to get along and I felt good about the interview. A few weeks later while I was working at the summer camp he gave me a call and asked me to join the staff at Whitewood Elementary. I was excited, terrified, and incredibly relieved all at once. So it was. I was a teacher. Have been ever since. I called and thanked Super Aunt Francy for getting me the job. She said she got my in the door. I got the job myself. I remember when I went to sign my contract and other important documents, Carol Fellner, the secretary to the superintendent at the time said, "You will LOVE Whitewood. It's like a little slice of heaven over there." She was right. It was a slice of heaven. 

I can't explain when it happens, but you will wake up one day and feel ancient. You will realize that time has passed so rapidly that overnight you are the veteran. Mostly, you will realize that the new teacher you are teaching with, Allison Anvik, is the same age as your first group of students. It will hit you that you are no longer the newbie. You are the veteran. I imagine this happens in other professions too. In a profession where 46% of people will quit within the first five years nationwide I often wonder how it is that I love this job that I do. Again, I attribute it to people. I'm a successful teacher because of the awesome people I've known during the past fifteen years. 

Starting teaching is the most overwhelming task I've had to undertake. When I started teaching they did not do a new staff orientation beyond here are your keys, this is your room, here is your class list, be ready to teach them on August 30, 2000. I remember walking into the basically vacant room. I found some curriculum guides that were printed using a dot matrix printer and dated 1993. This was 2000. I was grateful that I knew about the South Dakota State Standards or I'm not sure where I would start. So here I was. Twenty two years old, in charge of 20 third graders, and I didn't even know where or how to make a copy for them. I am not trying to rip on my district because I'm not sure any of my classmates were oriented into their new positions any differently. I have never been one to shy away from asking questions, but I also didn't want my boss to think that he hired a total no mind. Enter, Mrs. Kvanvig. My SAVIOR for the first five years of my career. She showed me how to make copies myself, and how to send them to central copy. That may not seem like a big deal, but believe me it was. She told me what to grade and what to throw. She taught me the battles to fight and the ones you don't bother with. She gave me strategies for dealing with administration and parents. She had really fun ideas. I quickly learned from her no nonsense manner and her organization.  Okay, so I really haven't ever mastered organization Kvanvig style, but I can dream. Anyway. Mrs. Kvanvig was the BEST mentor I ever could have asked for. I really don't think I would have survived those first years without her because I just didn't have a clue. Teaching is hard. If you don't have a good mentor you are dead in the water. Mrs. Kvanvig was my life jacket those first few years and I really don't think I could have stuck with teaching without her. I mean, I might still be trying to figure out how to make copies!

Similar to Mrs. Kvanvig another lifeline was Karen Speed. She was the secretary. Any teacher will tell you to make friends with the school secretary. I quickly learned that Mrs. Speed was the BEST school secretary. She was funny, smart, caring, helpful, kind, knowledgable, and wise. Karen Speed advised me on so many things I can't even begin to tell you. She made me laugh and one time beat me badly in a match of leg wrestling. I learned quickly you don't take a ranch girl on in leg wrestling. It was not uncommon for Mrs. Speed to be the favorite part of my day and she was undoubtedly the reason I would laugh so hard at lunch that my stomach would hurt for days. I was grateful for her to reminding me to not take myself too seriously, or the job too seriously for that matter. She also wisely taught me that laughter really can cure all that ails you. She helped me learn the true value of good friends and the importance of asking for help. In fact, I remember being at school working with Grandma Halter one weekend and I was trying to make copies. Again, with the copy machine. I jammed the copier so badly I had to call Karen Speed at home. Through some miracle over the phone she coached me to fix the copier! Ever a friend and always there. She was sometimes the only comfort I felt once Mrs. C passed away.

Mrs. C. My beloved Mrs. C. She taught first grade. She was hilarious. She was the queen of one liners. We would have a parent who thought highly of themselves and her comment would be, "If you could buy them for what they are worth, and sell them for what they think they are worth you would make a million dollars." When talking about how under appreciated teachers are she would quote her former principal by saying, "Elementary school teachers are a dime a dozen." Sometimes that would help ground and focus us. Mrs. C. also told me that the measure of a good teacher was that when the child who annoyed you the most thought they were your favorite that made you an excellent teacher. She had the BEST ideas for activities. Her and Mrs. Kvanvig graciously involved me with their units they taught together. Those beginning years of my career were magical. We all had so much fun. Again, it is a moment in my life when I really become flooded with amazing memories whenever I think about it. 

Sadly, Mrs. C. suffered a similar fate as Mrs. Kallas. She was diagnosed with liver cancer and died after a grueling battle with it. Not a day goes by when I don't think of her. She is sorely missed by her former students, colleagues, and parents of students. Seven years later and I still think I hear her in the hallway outside my classroom or hope to hear her shout, "Hey Halter, ya old bag!"  The loss of Mrs. C. made it very difficult to carry on working at Whitewood. I still had fun, don't get me wrong, but it was vastly different. And incredibly difficult. A year after Mrs. C died I left Whitewood. I was driving 80 miles a day and I needed to work closer to where I lived, but the loss of Mrs. C. made for an incredibly difficult year and it just seemed like a good time to make a fresh start. 

I moved to Stagebarn Elementary in 2008 I believe. I was devastated to leave Mrs. Kvanvig, but I knew it was what I had to do. I was thrilled to move at the same time because I was going to be teaching next door to my little sister, and your aunt, Katie. It was a lifelong dream come true. I couldn't wait. Katie has been extraordinary to work with. She has great ideas, is organized, and helps me with the copier. I really do see a trend with copiers here...Anyway she's like a younger Mrs. Kvanvig. We sort of fill in the blanks with one another. Working with her has been the BEST and makes going to work a blast every single day. Along with Auntie I also work with Kassi Wilson and Allison Anvik. We call ourselves #dreamteam. Mostly I think because we have so darn much fun working together. Mrs. Wilson and Ms. Anvik have amazing ideas and have reignited this old veteran teacher. I often think to myself on my way to work that, "this is the good old days." Sometime in my life I'm going to look back on this time as some of the best times in my career. I love who I work with. Together we are fortunate to have one another. I know teaching would not be what it is if I weren't surrounded by these three women. 

I also work with Uncle Kelly. His class and my class have been reading buddies for the past few years. He is always certain to keep the workplace interesting and always makes us laugh. 

I'd be amiss if I didn't mention another special coworker. Mrs. Fenster. I won't lie. I couldn't read Mrs. Fenster the first year we worked together. I could tell we were both "badasses" and didn't take any crap from kids, but I just couldn't seem to crack her shell. It took a little while, but once I got to know what I would endearingly call Fenster I learned that she is a true friend and confidant. She taught me the value of being steadfast, calm, and reliable. We shared lots of laughs and she basically PULLED me through my first pregnancy and first year of being a mom.

Another important piece of the puzzle is Mr. Dschaak. My current boss and principal. I am not sure he will read this blog. It is probably better if he doesn't because I don't need him thinking that I am trying to score brownie points. I guess I could start by saying that for the first year maybe two he was not my favorite. He was the first "boss" that I worked for. Which is tough. Imagine a teenager who has been on their own for their entire life finally getting a parent. I was resistant at first and definitely used to different leadership styles. Once I adapted to his style I realized that we were in fact very fortunate to have him as our boss. Mr. Dschaak makes our school incredibly special. He is a leader who supports his teachers. I'm not saying that I always agree with him because I don't. What I do know is that Mr. Dschaak is going to shoot me straight and treat me right. I know if he has something to say about me he will say it to me.  A good principal makes all the difference in a school. He is the reason that I will be sending you to Piedmont Valley Elementary. It helps that it is our neighborhood school, but even if it weren't you would still be going there. Mr. Dschaak isn't afraid to manage behavior and have tough conversations with parents. I admire his willingness to be on the front lines when faced with difficult situations. He is supportive, encouraging, and also intimidating. He's the type of person you just don't want to let down.  He is a true leader and I am so fortunate to be a part of his staff.

Currently I am a teacher with fifteen years of experience. I am teaching in the lowest paid state in the union. THE LOWEST. As I stated in a previous paragraph 46% of my colleagues will leave this profession in the first five years. Mostly because it is hard and we aren't greatly compensated. The job seems to be getting harder. I can't say enough that I do love my job. It frustrates me, but I love it. I have so many people say to me, "I know your family lives in South Dakota, but you could make so much more money in any other state." True. I teach in a state and am about to send you to school in a state that does NOT in the least value education. So why do I stay?  If I were to leave now I would lose so much more than I would ever gain monetarily.I have hope it will improved. I have hope that you will meet extraordinary teachers as I have and be in the right place at the right time. 

So there it is in a nutshell how I've survived 15 years in a profession where 46% of teachers would have been gone in a third of that time. People. Never underestimate the value of the people around you. Learn from them. My first two years I received a "pink slip." Meaning my contract was not being renewed. I was the last one hired so the first one to go. To say I was devastated would have been a vast understatement.  I had never worked or tried so hard as I did that first year. It was like a punch in the stomach when I was told I couldn't come back. I applied and interviewed at a few places, but none of them felt even remotely like home to me. I was inevitably hired back that first year in the same position.  I wasn't too scared my second pink slip. I had worked like I could be fired at any moment and that made all the difference. I feel like losing my job those first two years really shape who I am as a teacher. Mrs. C. was right, elementary teachers are a dime a dozen. You have to work your tail off to stand out. Make sure you start your own profession that you work like you are at risk to being let go at any moment. Always try to stand out. At the same time. Don't let it consume you. So many teachers I know have let teaching take over their life. Love it. Love your students. But find balance. You can work 23 hours a day at teaching and still not be done. Control the monster. 

This post feels so random and unfocused. Probably because I am trying to fit 15 years of a career into a few paragraphs. I've worked with a number of different people, taught around 300 students, met nearly double that in parents, and have gained more than my fair share of weight on lounge treats and school lunches. I'm guessing that I probably have a minimum of another 15 years ahead of me. Making me right at the halfway point. Maybe even over half. Nostalgic is a funny feeling. It makes you yearn for a past you can never return to. At the same time it makes me grateful for where I am and the future ahead of me. I'm so glad that the school district sent me that letter so that I could take some time to remember where I have been to get where I am now.

Love Always, 

Mama

No comments:

Post a Comment