Initially, when I started this blog I was 8 months pregnant, thought I would blog on a regular basis, had an abundance of free time, and also didn't want cliche blog entries about holiday happenings. I wanted my blog to be honest, hilarious, and share some wisdom with my children. In reality, having two jobs, two kids, and a passion for taking a million pictures has interfered with my blogging. So forgive me when they are sporadic and don't seem to make any sense. Forgive me when my sentences don't flow well and there are spelling errors because sometimes I'm just scribbling stuff down quickly.
That being said I've probably only blogged twice since Christmas. That's not to say that we haven't had a blast this winter. We have, but winter seems annoyingly busy. It seems like we do a bunch of different things, but I never really blog. So I have thousands of things to write about to catch you up on our happenings, but I felt like I wanted to share more of my past with you. So here goes. During the winter I always replay probably one of my favorite winters. It was winter of 2000. It really seems like a lifetime ago. I was a student teacher. I had met one of the coolest people I had ever met in my life. She would be my mentor, confidant, and friend. She was Mrs. Kallas.
I met Mrs Kallas the first day of my last Christmas Break in college. I was getting ready to graduate once I passed my student teaching. I really didn't care too much about student teaching to be honest. While I knew I needed to jump through this hoop I had other plans. I remember the day I met Mrs. Kallas vividly. My good friend Brooke Kelly and I were headed to the school together because she was student teaching in the same building. This was the only part of student teaching I was even remotely excited about. She left me at Mrs. Kallas's room. I walked into her room, and with all due respect I thought I was in a storage room. There were stacks on top of stacks. Book shelves full of books, papers, workbooks, etc. The room was filled to the brim with stuff. It was a little shocking. I walked in and she was sitting at a table hiding behind a three foot stack of paper and some folders. I said hello and she ran right over to the door to greet me. Thankfully her prior student teacher, Kim Johnson, had given her a positive experience so she was excited to meet me and have another student teacher. After having taught myself for 15 years I can tell you that student teachers are a mixed bag! You get some good and others...not so good.
She said, "I'm Arlene Kallas! It's nice to meet you."
I said, "Nice to meet you too. I'm not really going to teach. I'm only student teaching so I can graduate. I'm actually going to move to Wisconsin to be a waitress when I graduate."
*COMPLETE SILENCE*
Let me give you the back story. I had some friends who lived in Wisconsin. I met them while I was a waitress in Custer State Park. I went to visit them in 1998? 1999? for a concert and we had a blast. It was then that I decided I was going to quit school and move to Wisconsin and be a waitress. I was so EXCITED! I loved waitressing and the money was great. What could be more fun than waiting tables sans a college degree and living in Wisconsin! BIG FUN!!! I broke the news to my parents. They wisely didn't say much. I knew they wouldn't approve, but I don't remember them being overly naggy about it or anything. If they were I didn't care. My mind was made up. I also told my friend and classmate Brooke Kelly I was done. I don't remember her exact words, but she said something about me being an idiot, or a fool, or something. She was less than supportive of my decision. I know I told Uncle Jay too, but for the life of me I can't remember what he thought.
My final step was to let my advisor know that I'd be leaving school. Totally burned out and ready to take a break, waitress, and then make some plans about going back to college sometime in the near future. Seemed like an easy conversation to have with my advisor. She was a nice lady and I'd only met her a few times so it seemed like it would be a conversation I would breeze right through. It did not go well at all... Two hours later she had me on a path to complete school, including student teaching in one year. I'd have to take 27 credits my last semester, but it was possible. I'd student teach and graduate. BUCK UP was what she said in so many words. Just finish your student teaching and graduate. Then you can waitress your tail off. Those were not her exact words, but all I knew is that just to get out of her office I'd agree to about anything.
So it was. I had the LONGEST SEMESTER OF MY LIFE!! I worked and maintained a strong social life while I took said 27 credits and it was one of the craziest times in my life. I slept very little. So by the time I met Mrs. Kallas I was exhausted, burnt out, and couldn't care less about teaching anyone let alone a class of fourth graders.
Needless to say the first impression I made on Mrs. Kallas was less than impressive. It was downright bad. Our first impression of each other was something we would laugh about later. She would do an impression of me, wearing my Birkenstock sandals, wool socks, and sweater from Good Will that December day that was pretty spot on. Now that I'm in the position to take student teachers I can't imagine if one said something like that to me.
Though my start to student teaching was rocky the experience itself was much different. First of all I lived at home. With my mom and dad. After three and a half years on my own working and going to school and having LOTS of fun it was a relief to not have to work and live with my mom and dad. I remember my mom (your grandma) cooked dinner and it was quiet and I went to bed pretty early at night. It was good. I probably should have thanked them more for letting me move back home that winter. Thanks mom and dad! My guess is they loved it as much as I did.
Second of all you only get one chance to work with a teacher while you are teaching. You are probably wondering how it went when I arrived that first day of my assignment. Mrs. Kallas smiled at me, pointed to a table in the back, and said, "You can sit back here. Whenever you decide to get involved you just let me know." You only get a few months to soak up all the wisdom that you can get from a fellow teacher. We immediately developed a bond that I am forever grateful for. Mrs. Kallas's classroom was magical. It took about a week before I was so excited to jump right in I could hardly stand it. Before I knew it I was knee deep in fourth grade. And loving every minute of it. I learned more than I could ever imagine. I was inspired and by the time I was done student teaching I decided to throw a couple of applications in.
Mrs. Kallas loved her students more than any other teacher I've met. She was tough as nails, but as gentle as you could be. She believed in the kids and wanted to give them an experience they'd never forget. She did her OWN classroom fundraiser so that we could take as many field trips as we wanted. If the fundraiser didn't earn enough money then she would pay the rest. She knew it was THAT important to give students the experience to see everything we could in the area. We went on seven field trips that year. She was special and did things that I've never experienced another teacher doing. It's difficult to put into words my experience student teaching with Mrs. Kallas. Partly because it was fifteen years ago, but also partly because in life you will have moments that are so amazing they are hard to put into words. You just have the movie that is a memory that you can play back in your mind.
While I was with Mrs. Kallas she taught me many many things that I refer to on a daily basis in my own teaching. Mostly do your best. Always do your best. Anyone who had the good fortune to know Mrs. Kallas was truly blessed. I have no doubt that students never forgot her. Anyone who student taught with her never forgot her. I know I will never forget her. She is the reason (along with super aunt Francy telling me there were job openings) I decided to forgo waitressing in Wisconsin and get a teaching job in Whitewood, SD. Probably one of my best decisions! That is another blog post.
Close to two years after I met Mrs. Kallas she died of liver cancer. Saying it was sad is an understatement. I was devastated that she died. I was there the night before she died to say goodbye. Your Grandma Halter drove me to her house. She was surrounded by people who loved her. I said goodbye and that I loved her. I truthfully couldn't say much, I was just too sad. Sometimes you will meet people in your life. They might be one of your most favorite people and they will die. It will break your heart. I think of Mrs. Kallas nearly every day in my classroom. In so many ways she is there with me. Day in and day out, working with students, teaching them, and laughing. Due to that I guess you could say that Mrs. Kallas lives on through my own teaching and thoughts of her.
Fast forward to 2003. I ran into Kim Johnson, remember? Mrs. Kallas's student teacher right before me? I saw her and Boarders. That's a bookstore that is now closed. We chit chatted. She updated me on the happenings at the school where I student taught and also told me that she was teaching with a single guy whom she thought I should meet. She also wanted me to bring a bunch of stuff from Mrs. Kallas because I had made copies and stored them. She didn't have them and wanted them. So I agreed to come and meet this Adam Waider guy and drop off some teaching materials in the meantime. For some reason I agreed. I really wasn't into being set up, but I was into giving Kim some of the resources from Mrs. Kallas. Needless to say, I went and met Adam Waider. He asked me out later that week and as they like to say, the rest is history. Did Mrs. Kallas have a hand in our meeting? I'd like to think so. Everyone does say that everything happens for a reason. Sometimes your greatest pain can lead you to the greatest happiness.
Love always,
Mama
P.S. I would love to post pictures but 2000 was still film years. Not too many digital pictures and I have no idea where any of the pictures from that time are!
P.P.S. I think I owe a huge THANK YOU to Sandee Shamber, my advisor, for not letting me quit school. Also, thank you, Brooke Kelly for giving me a good kick in the butt whenever I needed it, as well as being open to having lots of fun. You were like a big sister to me that very difficult semester. Those were some great times! Also, sorry to Jason Kelly for being a HUGE pain in the butt to you! ;)
That being said I've probably only blogged twice since Christmas. That's not to say that we haven't had a blast this winter. We have, but winter seems annoyingly busy. It seems like we do a bunch of different things, but I never really blog. So I have thousands of things to write about to catch you up on our happenings, but I felt like I wanted to share more of my past with you. So here goes. During the winter I always replay probably one of my favorite winters. It was winter of 2000. It really seems like a lifetime ago. I was a student teacher. I had met one of the coolest people I had ever met in my life. She would be my mentor, confidant, and friend. She was Mrs. Kallas.
I met Mrs Kallas the first day of my last Christmas Break in college. I was getting ready to graduate once I passed my student teaching. I really didn't care too much about student teaching to be honest. While I knew I needed to jump through this hoop I had other plans. I remember the day I met Mrs. Kallas vividly. My good friend Brooke Kelly and I were headed to the school together because she was student teaching in the same building. This was the only part of student teaching I was even remotely excited about. She left me at Mrs. Kallas's room. I walked into her room, and with all due respect I thought I was in a storage room. There were stacks on top of stacks. Book shelves full of books, papers, workbooks, etc. The room was filled to the brim with stuff. It was a little shocking. I walked in and she was sitting at a table hiding behind a three foot stack of paper and some folders. I said hello and she ran right over to the door to greet me. Thankfully her prior student teacher, Kim Johnson, had given her a positive experience so she was excited to meet me and have another student teacher. After having taught myself for 15 years I can tell you that student teachers are a mixed bag! You get some good and others...not so good.
She said, "I'm Arlene Kallas! It's nice to meet you."
I said, "Nice to meet you too. I'm not really going to teach. I'm only student teaching so I can graduate. I'm actually going to move to Wisconsin to be a waitress when I graduate."
*COMPLETE SILENCE*
Let me give you the back story. I had some friends who lived in Wisconsin. I met them while I was a waitress in Custer State Park. I went to visit them in 1998? 1999? for a concert and we had a blast. It was then that I decided I was going to quit school and move to Wisconsin and be a waitress. I was so EXCITED! I loved waitressing and the money was great. What could be more fun than waiting tables sans a college degree and living in Wisconsin! BIG FUN!!! I broke the news to my parents. They wisely didn't say much. I knew they wouldn't approve, but I don't remember them being overly naggy about it or anything. If they were I didn't care. My mind was made up. I also told my friend and classmate Brooke Kelly I was done. I don't remember her exact words, but she said something about me being an idiot, or a fool, or something. She was less than supportive of my decision. I know I told Uncle Jay too, but for the life of me I can't remember what he thought.
My final step was to let my advisor know that I'd be leaving school. Totally burned out and ready to take a break, waitress, and then make some plans about going back to college sometime in the near future. Seemed like an easy conversation to have with my advisor. She was a nice lady and I'd only met her a few times so it seemed like it would be a conversation I would breeze right through. It did not go well at all... Two hours later she had me on a path to complete school, including student teaching in one year. I'd have to take 27 credits my last semester, but it was possible. I'd student teach and graduate. BUCK UP was what she said in so many words. Just finish your student teaching and graduate. Then you can waitress your tail off. Those were not her exact words, but all I knew is that just to get out of her office I'd agree to about anything.
So it was. I had the LONGEST SEMESTER OF MY LIFE!! I worked and maintained a strong social life while I took said 27 credits and it was one of the craziest times in my life. I slept very little. So by the time I met Mrs. Kallas I was exhausted, burnt out, and couldn't care less about teaching anyone let alone a class of fourth graders.
Needless to say the first impression I made on Mrs. Kallas was less than impressive. It was downright bad. Our first impression of each other was something we would laugh about later. She would do an impression of me, wearing my Birkenstock sandals, wool socks, and sweater from Good Will that December day that was pretty spot on. Now that I'm in the position to take student teachers I can't imagine if one said something like that to me.
Though my start to student teaching was rocky the experience itself was much different. First of all I lived at home. With my mom and dad. After three and a half years on my own working and going to school and having LOTS of fun it was a relief to not have to work and live with my mom and dad. I remember my mom (your grandma) cooked dinner and it was quiet and I went to bed pretty early at night. It was good. I probably should have thanked them more for letting me move back home that winter. Thanks mom and dad! My guess is they loved it as much as I did.
Second of all you only get one chance to work with a teacher while you are teaching. You are probably wondering how it went when I arrived that first day of my assignment. Mrs. Kallas smiled at me, pointed to a table in the back, and said, "You can sit back here. Whenever you decide to get involved you just let me know." You only get a few months to soak up all the wisdom that you can get from a fellow teacher. We immediately developed a bond that I am forever grateful for. Mrs. Kallas's classroom was magical. It took about a week before I was so excited to jump right in I could hardly stand it. Before I knew it I was knee deep in fourth grade. And loving every minute of it. I learned more than I could ever imagine. I was inspired and by the time I was done student teaching I decided to throw a couple of applications in.
Mrs. Kallas loved her students more than any other teacher I've met. She was tough as nails, but as gentle as you could be. She believed in the kids and wanted to give them an experience they'd never forget. She did her OWN classroom fundraiser so that we could take as many field trips as we wanted. If the fundraiser didn't earn enough money then she would pay the rest. She knew it was THAT important to give students the experience to see everything we could in the area. We went on seven field trips that year. She was special and did things that I've never experienced another teacher doing. It's difficult to put into words my experience student teaching with Mrs. Kallas. Partly because it was fifteen years ago, but also partly because in life you will have moments that are so amazing they are hard to put into words. You just have the movie that is a memory that you can play back in your mind.
While I was with Mrs. Kallas she taught me many many things that I refer to on a daily basis in my own teaching. Mostly do your best. Always do your best. Anyone who had the good fortune to know Mrs. Kallas was truly blessed. I have no doubt that students never forgot her. Anyone who student taught with her never forgot her. I know I will never forget her. She is the reason (along with super aunt Francy telling me there were job openings) I decided to forgo waitressing in Wisconsin and get a teaching job in Whitewood, SD. Probably one of my best decisions! That is another blog post.
Close to two years after I met Mrs. Kallas she died of liver cancer. Saying it was sad is an understatement. I was devastated that she died. I was there the night before she died to say goodbye. Your Grandma Halter drove me to her house. She was surrounded by people who loved her. I said goodbye and that I loved her. I truthfully couldn't say much, I was just too sad. Sometimes you will meet people in your life. They might be one of your most favorite people and they will die. It will break your heart. I think of Mrs. Kallas nearly every day in my classroom. In so many ways she is there with me. Day in and day out, working with students, teaching them, and laughing. Due to that I guess you could say that Mrs. Kallas lives on through my own teaching and thoughts of her.
Fast forward to 2003. I ran into Kim Johnson, remember? Mrs. Kallas's student teacher right before me? I saw her and Boarders. That's a bookstore that is now closed. We chit chatted. She updated me on the happenings at the school where I student taught and also told me that she was teaching with a single guy whom she thought I should meet. She also wanted me to bring a bunch of stuff from Mrs. Kallas because I had made copies and stored them. She didn't have them and wanted them. So I agreed to come and meet this Adam Waider guy and drop off some teaching materials in the meantime. For some reason I agreed. I really wasn't into being set up, but I was into giving Kim some of the resources from Mrs. Kallas. Needless to say, I went and met Adam Waider. He asked me out later that week and as they like to say, the rest is history. Did Mrs. Kallas have a hand in our meeting? I'd like to think so. Everyone does say that everything happens for a reason. Sometimes your greatest pain can lead you to the greatest happiness.
Love always,
Mama
P.S. I would love to post pictures but 2000 was still film years. Not too many digital pictures and I have no idea where any of the pictures from that time are!
P.P.S. I think I owe a huge THANK YOU to Sandee Shamber, my advisor, for not letting me quit school. Also, thank you, Brooke Kelly for giving me a good kick in the butt whenever I needed it, as well as being open to having lots of fun. You were like a big sister to me that very difficult semester. Those were some great times! Also, sorry to Jason Kelly for being a HUGE pain in the butt to you! ;)
No comments:
Post a Comment