Sunday, August 16, 2015

Back to School

Dear Baby Waider + Little Brother Too,

Today I have been entirely too emotional. It started out when I was drinking my morning coffee and reading a blog with the title, Eighteen Summers With Our Children Are Not Enough. It rang pretty true seeings that summer is, by most standards, over. It went by too quickly as always.Following the blog where I realized I pretty much have 15 summers left with Baby Waider and 17 summers left with Little Brother I discovered that this weekend was college drop off weekend for many schools. Let me be clear. I will be thrilled when you go to college. You will have fun, learn lots, and really begin the rest of your life! But for me it will be an utterly emotional time. Just as it is for so many parents. I think what struck me the most is that when parents are leaving their kids at college, the most likely feeling is that "just yesterday" they were tiny. Just yesterday we swung on the swings for 30 minutes then played with bubbles for an hour. Well, for me that was today. I didn't drop my kids off college today. I pushed them endlessly on the swings and blew bubbles. I got a little emotional when I realized that slowly Baby Waider is able to pump her legs and swing on her own. Which only led me to thinking more, "before I know it she'll be going off to college." I tried to cuddle Little Brother for too long, which caused him to squirm from my arms and say, "Go away!" 

I definitely don't have little babies anymore which is equal parts heart breaking and liberating. Part of me can't wait for you to be a little older so we can experience even more travel and exciting adventures together! At the same time I know I will miss blowing bubbles. (I am pretty good. Not as good as dad, but I do all right.) I don't think that I will miss pushing swings endlessly. Maybe I will, but for three summers straight I've stood pushing a swing. I am not counting on missing it. My guess is I have a few more pushing summers left anyway. I know I will miss Little Brother's  ADORABLY blonde hair and the way Baby Waider's hair wisps out of her pony tail and blows in the breeze. I also know I'll miss breakfasts on the sun porch and trips for ice cream. 

My favorite quote about parenting is that, "The days are long, but the years are short." It is so true. So many days this summer when you are simultaneously crying, fighting, and refusing to nap I've thought this summer would never end. But all in all, the summer has flown by. These simple times have been maximized and I have yet again been reminded to "not blink" and "make the most out of every moment." As fall settles in on us and I stare straight into having a four year old and a two year old I realize that I just need to hold on because it's going to fly by. 

Your bubble blowing buddy,

Mama  

No comments:

Post a Comment