Sunday, March 25, 2018

Total Eclipse of the Heart

Dear Baby Waider + Little Brother Too,

Last summer I remember Grandma Halter trying to plan with me to go to see the total solar eclipse in Alliance, Nebraska. I was pretty reluctant to get excited because we would have just returned from Yellowstone, Colorado, and a summer of lots of travel. Dad had to work and it just didn't seem that excited. Boy was I wrong. We decided to go, invited a good friend of mine, Mrs. Kvanvig, got up at 5:00AM and headed south. We hit horrible fog on the way there. The skis were very cloudy and the trip really seemed like a waste. Despite the fact that we saw two birds fighting and a coyote the drive was pretty uneventful. 

We paid to park in an open field where the owners sold a few souvenirs. It was a pretty small group of people and not at all crowded which was very cool. We went with Grandma and Grandpa Halter, Jannette, Kiani, Calvin, Uncle Kelly, Aunt April, Harry, Vern, Franklin, and Finn. It was a total blast. We had "sun" inspired treats like Sun Chips, Sunkist, and Sunny D. 

*I feel like I initially forgot to mention why the title Total Eclipse of the Heart. It was a song from the 1980s that I pretty much continually played/sang for you the entire day. It was amazing. You can YouTube the song yourself if you want to be reminded of its awesomeness. 

 This video is from the time of the total eclipse. Hands down the most amazing thing I've ever seen. I will travel many miles to see it again. The 360 degrees of sunset was just amazing. I don't know if you will remember the experience, but it was completely amazing, creepy, and breathtaking. 


 Eerie mid-day sunset.
Fun waiting for the event. It was so cool and such a big deal. So glad Grandma Halter made us go.The only thing that would have made it better would have been dad being able to see the eclipse too.

Love, 

Mom

No comments:

Post a Comment