Saturday, March 24, 2018

Why We March

Dear Baby Waider+Little Brother Too,

I am so disappointed with my lack of blogging for 2017 and the first quarter of 2018. I have been trying to evaluate why I don't blog as much as I did when you were babies and the most simplistic answer I have is that you both nap less than you used to. I used to be able to crank out some blogs when you were sleeping. My computer has been drama since last spring and I'm just getting it back to working condition.  Also, I feel like the past year has been marred by atrocious political events. I remember an earlier blog that I wrote that I was devastated that Barack Obama was leaving office. I had so many thoughts and  opinions about what it would be like once he left office and I will tell you that I had no idea how bad it would really get. I feel like I spend so much time on social media and google trying to find some glimmer of hope that things are going to change and get better, but the reality is that we are all just waiting for the 2018 election in November. I need to snap out of this media funk I've been in and start documenting the great things we're doing as a family!

Today I decided to bring back the blog because you have become quite the little activists. We participated in the March for our Lives event today that focused upon the need for gun reform in the United States. This comes from events where students are shot in their schools by semi-automatic weapons. This didn't happen when mom and dad were little. For both of you it will be a reality you've always known. You will always have participated in active shooter drills at your school. For whatever reason guns have become easy for crazy people to get and for reasons I don't understand they go into schools with the intent to harm innocent children and teachers. Today we marched because of the need to regulate the types of guns and ammo that people can buy. Today we marched because we don't feel that one more person should die by a gun. It was a chilly morning and we went to the park first, but I was totally impressed by your marching without complaint. 

Here are some pictures from today... 


There are a whole bunch of people who are opposed to changing the gun laws and we ran into some of them today. One guy shouted at us from his motorcycle, "You are manipulating the minds of children with your beliefs. You are rotten people." Based upon what I'm seeing on social media he wasn't the only person to feel this way. It confuses me because he's not the one who has to practice active shooter drills in his school and worry about someone coming in to shoot at him for no reason. There were lots of kids participating in marches today, not just you. Some were older and some were speaking out. I am so proud of you both today. You are living during a time where you will really know what it means to bring about change. You will know the importance of voting and being civically active. I was always involved in politics because my mom and dad were involved. I am so grateful for Grandpa and Grandma Halter for that and I vow to pass that onto you. 

We also participated in the Women's March back in January which both of you loved. You had the time of your life shouting, "Hey! Hey! Ho! Ho! Donald Trump has got to go!" We marched with Grandma Halter, Becky, Joe, April, Liz, and Franklin. Unfortunately you got into a fist fight in the middle of the speeches which was a little unnerving because we were at a peaceful march and you were punching each other out. I think I said the words, "You can't get into a fist fight at a peaceful march." The march was moving and having the two of you there was everything. 

Today cousin Vern asked why we were marching and I'm sure that was on your minds as well. We march because we are in a situation where everything we hold dear is being trivialized and taken away. Everything that was fought for is slowly being lost. We march because we want better for you. We had you during a time of hope. Unfortunately that quickly turned to a time of hate. I know that it won't stay like this, but I hope you remember these times when we took a stand and marched. I hope you know that you can always stand up for what you believe and be involved in our political process.

I'll tell ya one thing. When I was a kid I would have NEVER imagined this many Democrats in ALL of South Dakota let alone in Rapid City. That's a gross assumption that everyone was a Democrat. I should rephrase that as like-minded people. Today and the Women's March gave me great hope. In quoting Barack Obama, "We're fired up! Ready to go!" Here's to hoping a little flame has been lit in both of you. 

Love, 

Mom



No comments:

Post a Comment