We have an end of the summer family tradition. I have a love/hate relationship with this tradition. This tradition is The Central States Fair. Things I hate about the fair: Everything appears to be covered in germs, the equipment doesn't appear to be the least bit safe, and the people there are...Well I don't want to seem judgy, but it is a colorful crowd. Things I love about the fair: cream puffs, the smiles on your faces, and the faces of your cousins.
This year The Central States Fair fell after we had experienced a wonderful summer of travel and right before Baby Waider was going to enter kindergarten with Cousin Harry. While the two events are unrelated I noticed just how much older Baby Waider was at the fair than last year. This was probably the last year on the "baby rides" that just go around in a little circle in several different varieties. While the cousins seemed so much older Cousin Harry and Baby Waider were still young enough to walk around the fairgrounds hand in hand. Undoubtably something that they won't do next year.
It's these yearly events that really remind us of how quickly time is passing. I'm equal parts sad and happy think about how far you both will have come in the next year.
The fair was pretty typical this year. You all riding as many rides as quickly as possible. We did shake it up by playing the goldfish game. Note: Grandma and Grandpa had you play the goldfish game. Turns out you two were crack shots and we won 6 or 7 goldfish!! It was impressive. Many people complain that those fish don't last, but we still have two of them and the neighbor kid has three that we gave him. A couple did die, but overall they are flourishing with Spikey.
One part of the Central States Fair that I failed to mention is that I went when I was a little girl. I got to go with my siblings and my cousin Kammie. I remember being sweaty and flushed with excitement after going around and around in circles for hours. I remember the beautiful warm August Summer nights and the fait scent of dust and and Rapid Creek in the air. Even though it isn't my favorite event and every part of my being wants to hate it I have to admit that I probably won't ever not go. There's just something uniquely American about going to the county fair.
Love,
Mama
No comments:
Post a Comment