Monday, July 1, 2013

Back When Ring Worm was a Big Deal...

Dear Baby Waider,

It has been nearly a month since my last blog post. Perhaps because things have been a little crazy around here at the Waider house. It all started with Ring Worm. Gross, I know. You were diagnosed with Ring Worm on mom and dad's last day of work. I PANICKED. Pretty sure it was a horrible disaster. Really, for the beginning of June/end of May it was.


Here you are before you were given the diagnosis of Ring Worm. You were filthy from a super fun last day at daycare, but I really think that the doctor (not the usual Dr. Lynn) probably looked at you, the Ring Worm, and us, and wondered if we take proper care of you. I was pretty upset and freaked out about the Ring Worm. I'll tell you I would go back to a time when I thought Ring Worm was a big deal... That's for sure.

Mom, Dad, Grandma, Grandpa, Auntie Katie, and Uncle Robbie had decided long ago that we would have a rummage sale at the beginning of the summer. Seems pretty harmless, right? Well it wasn't. Mom and dad had lots of junk to get rid of and needed a trailer to haul everything. Dad was pulling the trailer, slipped, and fell onto his ankle sideways. It was obvious to your brilliant mother that it was broken. We rushed him to a doctor who confirmed that he had broken his fibula. :( This was bad news for you 6 months pregnant mama with a wild toddler. The brawn of our house was out with an injury leaving me with more to do. I was stressed. Fortunately uncle Robbie, grandma and grandpa Halter, and auntie Katie helped us get ready for the rummage sale. We got rid of some stuff, but it didn't quite seem worth it since your dad broke his ankle getting ready for it.

With your dad down with a broken ankle I was starting to think that ring worm just wasn't that big of a deal.


Here are you and dad after he broke his ankle. You have learned to love cuddle time with daddy. No more all star wrestling and acrobatics, but lots of iPad time and book reading. Sometimes you just like to sit with him.

The week after dad broke his ankle auntie Katie, uncle Robbie, and I decided to take you to Reptile Gardens with cousin Finn. You were on a platform. (I say it was 4 feet off the ground. Uncle Robbie says it was 3 feet off of the ground.) You were hanging on the bar around the platform and you spun around the bar and fell face first on the ground. Your nose was GUSHING blood as was your mouth. Once you were done crying and cleaned up I felt like you just weren't acting like your normal adventurous self. You seemed tentative and even a little shaken. So I called the doctor. Again, Dr. Lynn was gone! So I explained what happened to the nurse on call. She tried to ask me some questions before I finally told her I was coming in whether she got me an appointment or not. I think she could tell I was about to go mama bear on her and she got me an appointment right away. By the time we arrived at the doctor you were visibly fine. The doctor also assured me that I would be fine. She also gave me some tips for next time you take a tumble. I was proud of myself for mostly staying calm on the outside while freaking out on the inside. Thankfully both Uncle Robbie and Auntie Katie were there so Katie could help me clean you up. Before you took your tumble we watched about 5 seconds of the alligator show. You got antsy and I got creeped out by the flies landing on the alligator poop and then landing on me. So, we went to see the prairie dogs. Forever. You loved them and even got to see feeding time. Auntie came through again and took you into the creepy breath infested plastic bubble with Finny so you could see them even closer. After having you fall and be okay I again realized that ring worm was just not that big of a deal.




Here we are together at Reptile Gardens, loving the prairie dogs.


You and Auntie getting an extra close up look at the prairie dogs.


Almost a week after breaking his ankle dad learned he would have to have surgery on his ankle. We were pretty excited for him to have surgery because it felt like we were actually making headway. We had unfortunately seen a BAD doctor who failed to realize that dad's ankle was completely out of alignment due to the fibula fracture. Not only that, but his ligament snapped and pulled away a piece of bone on the opposite side of the ankle that the bad doctor failed to x-ray. Anyway we were excited to get him fixed up at the surgery. We had completely wasted two weeks due to the bad doctor's errors. Needless to say I am still very annoyed by this. Again, it sort of makes ring work seem like less of a big deal.

Dad was a champ going into surgery! He didn't seem nervous or scared at all. We both just felt so relieved.

Father's Day weekend was pretty uneventful. We had planned a camping trip and hoped to have breakfast and a day at the lake. Due to dad's injury we had to cancel the trip. Luckily grandma came through with a breakfast. That I didn't eat. Turns out I was in excruciating pain. I started to worry that I might be having labor pains. So you spent Father's Day with grandma and grandpa. Dad and I hobbled into the emergency room and labor and delivery only to learn that I was not in labor, but I was likely passing a kidney stone. I have had three so far in my life. I totally hope I dont pass that onto you. They are very painful. Especially when you are not taking pain meds because you are pregnant. I got to walk out of labor and delivery and dad got to ride in the wheel chair. Uncle Kelly and Auntie April had dinner that evening and we got some photos with my dad, Grandpa Halter. Fortunately the evil stone passed the next day. I would have to say that comparing ring worm to a kidney stone while pregnant, ring worm just isn't that big of a deal.




June was a pretty tough month. But what I do know is that bones heal, stones pass, and bumps and bruises fade. I also know that many people in this world would trade their problems for a broken ankle or a kidney stone or ring worm for that matter. As aggravating as the broken ankle has been, and I can't even imagine how aggravating it is to your dad, it has taught me a lot in just a few weeks. First, I've learned that your dad does way more than I ever realized. Especially now that I'm doing some of it. Second, I've learned that I can do more seven months pregnant than I ever thought I could. I've used air compressors, filled flat tires, done all the laundry and grocery shopping, un-winterized a camper, picked up dog poop, got ready for a camping trip pretty much on my own, and have solely done everything for you while maintaining what I usually do! Third, I've learned that people are incredibly helpful. We've had so much help from friends, family, and neighbors that it is unreal. Everyone has done so much to make sure we are taken care of. It really makes you realize what really matters. We've learned to ask for help, and to be grateful for what we have. Of course your dad has learned to do so much with the broken ankle. He helped a friend install the hitch for the fifth wheel, he un-winterized the camper, changed a tire, went fishing, and also taught many, many hours of driver's ed. It has been frustrating, but at the same time it has given me a chance to stop and realize what is really important. I won't lie. I've thought before that I would sure like to go back to the time when I thought that ring worm was a big deal. That was a time when things were much easier and I was much less tired. For future reference. Ring worm happens and it really isn't that big of a deal. Really, if you want to get down to it neither are broken ankles or kidney stones. The Waiders are all here and together and that is what is really important. We had many, many things we wanted to do and accomplish this summer break, but for now we are going to do as much as we can and be grateful for that. We are also going to just enjoy the heck out of you!


As always, Mama loves you.

Love,

Mama

No comments:

Post a Comment