Dear Baby Waider,
We had a pretty exciting morning! We ran errands around town. One thing that I can still do without losing my breath, hurting my back, or feeling like I'm going to fall over. Then we went on an outing with Grandpa and Grandma Halter. Your Grandpa and Grandma Halter. Not to be confused with MY Grandpa and Grandma Halter. I had fun with your grandparents this morning. See, they are helping me find the perfect crib for you. Grandpa wants one that is STURDY so it can stand up to your abuse and Grandma is helping me be sure it matches everything else in the room! It is the bed that you are going to sleep in when you are itty bitty, and when you grow up too. It is a convertible crib that will grow with you all the way to a double bed! That means you can take it with you when you go to college, or it can also stay in your room that is never going to change once we finish it. Either way the crib is way cooler than I could have ever imagined. All in all, the trip was pretty uneventful. We got some Starbucks, visited with one of your future BFF's mom's, Angela, and her mom Marcia. We even drove from Toys R Us with relatively little excitement. But, let me reiterate it was fun, but nothing like the same trip would have been with MY Grandma and Grandpa Halter.
Today got me thinking about how lucky I was to grow up in the same town as my grandparents, your great grandparents. They were CHARACTERS. Since Grandma was 42 when my dad was born they were older even when I was young. Some of my greatest memories were going on outings with G & G Halter. So, today as I reflected back on the crib outing I thought about what it would have been like with my grandparents. First, one of them would have driven. No matter what the case neither my grandpa or my grandma were qualified to drive. I probably could have driven better than both of them at age 12. One time when my grandpa was driving he actually hit a car in a parking lot SEVERAL TIMES!! He just kept backing out and then pulling right into the car, over and over again. He would say, "That's gonna leave a mark." I remember I was in the back trying not to die of laughter. Your uncle, my brother was in the front just looking straight ahead, probably trying not to laugh and not to look at me! He was also notorious for running red lights and saying, "That one was blushing a little." The man had "perfected the fine art of cussing," similar to the dad on the Christmas Story, so while he drove the expletives flew! Oddly enough I found it exciting, not terrifying to drive with grandpa. He was lawless, and in his 1980's Chrysler K car he was unstoppable. I'm just grateful he didn't have anything with more horse power.
This is a picture of a car similar to my grandparent's car. It was complete with an 8 track player, which you will never understand, and red interior. She was a beauty.
Grandma Halter was an amazing lady. She had many talents, hobbies, and admirable qualities. Driving was not one of them. Grandma was a space cadet on the road. She had two speeds, either really fast, or really slow. She would cut people off and acted like she was the only person on the road. I usually spent the whole time driving with grandma a little on edge, looking all around. The most interesting times were when grandma was driving and grandpa was in the passenger seat. Cars would be honking at grandma for any number of reasons and grandpa would be yelling at her. People would be making all kinds of gestures towards grandma and grandpa would just be fuming at what a horrible driver grandma was. Miraculously the woman did not die in or cause any fatal car accidents. Phew. Going shopping with grandma was a whole other story for another day.
The bottom line is that I am so happy for you that you get to grow up and hang out with your G & G Halter. I'm sure you'll have some crazy stories about them some day too. I love my memories with my grandparents. Whenever I think about them I can't help but smile. Despite their interesting driving techniques grandma could entertain us for hours just with her hobbies and stories. Grandpa was just fun to listen to and he ALWAYS had gum. I'm betting you will love your grandma's mad baking skill and sense of adventure. I'll just bet your grandpa will take you on some awesome hikes and tell you some pretty great off color stories.
Anyway, I better go figure out which crib I'm going to have them order! :)
Love always,
Mom

No comments:
Post a Comment